lens pouch/case/etc advice.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sammykhalifa, Aug 23, 2013.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Just looking for an, err . . . "thrifty" option for a lens container for my Olympus 45mm. It's not exactly in the best of shape now, but I don't think I need it banging into things if I can help it. Something along the same lines of what I got with the Panasonic 20mm would probably be perfect.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    This isn't really what you're asking for, but I've found microfiber sunglasses pouches are almost perfect for some m4/3 lenses, my older (larger) kit zoom fit inside like it was made for it. Protection from dust, obviously not much else.

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    An old winter sock works pretty well.

Or I use this... Pretty thrifty as I found it on a trail I was walking on.
    ImageUploadedByMu-431377281480.802305.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'm more of a scotch drinker, but I use Crown Royal bags to house lenses (in my Domke bag there is very little padding and the bags help w/o getting in the way).

Check with your local tavern - they may give you a few for free.

(I got mine honestly - I've a friend who is a C.R. drinker and I stock a bottle or three for his visits.)

Regards,

Jim

Attached Files:

5. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I keep all my lenses in Matin microfibre pouches bought via eBay.

6. karlw

karlw Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2012
    Enfield Connecticut
    karl
    If you want a good universal lens cover try...

I have found after looking for lens cases for all my Micro 4/3 lens that they have great infant socks that fit all my lens, as a matter of fact one size fits all except my 100 300 but it does fit mostly into one sock. They protect the lens from hitting together and they are not bulky at all. I think if you try them you will really like them. The ones I got are newborn or maybe up to 6 months they stretch with no problem and are very soft.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Heavy boot socks. Cut off the straight part from just above the heel and sew the cut end shut.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Do socks present a problem with dust/lint?

9. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Not in my experience. I have cheap cotton ones from WalMart. I always have front and (double) back caps on my lenses, though.

11. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use a Magic Hat beer bottle cozy Similar to the one shown here. I got it free from the grocery store a couple years ago - the oly 45 fits diameter perfectly!

Attached Files:

12. Bluemacro

Bluemacro New to Mu-43

May 21, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    I was able to snag two of these Timbuk2 google cases for sun glasses.
    I could fit my 14-45mm Panny and my 1.4 25mm Panny in one case. The 1.4 was a bit snug but I had no trouble removing the lenses in and out of the case. The body and cap are firm and seem to take some bumps and the interior seems lined with faux fur called Furr. Can't have the hood on these unfortunately but seems to work well otherwise.
    Got them at a bargain at my local TJ Maxx clothing discount store for $12.99 a piece from the original $24.99.

Amazon.com: Timbuk2 Beer Goggles Eyeglass Case, Black, Medium: Sports & Outdoors

13. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I use Matin pouches too. Can't go wrong at a little over $2 a pop. They're actually pretty sturdy, and have a claspy thing as well as a belt loop.

14. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I made some pouches from neoprene laptop cases. They can in the UK from time to time from some of the pound shops. From a 15" case you can make quite a few pouches or small battery cases etc. Also I have made divider type inserts for various bags, you can get velcro from material shops but dont try the self adhesive stuff its good on wood or metal. I just sew the dividers now though and use pouches or tubes with the lenses. If you can find them in a few coulours it might make finding things easier.

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Neoprene is nice stuff. In the US, at least, it is fairly easy to buy on the internet in various colors and thicknesses. Here is a vendor I have used in the past: Neoprene Closed Cell Foam: Seattlefabrics.com

16. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Coincidentally, I got a "beverage" cozy this past weekend as a giveaway at a baseball game. It must be a different "build quality" though because it's really a bit too large to be much use. :)

I might eventually pick up one of those pouches, probably at the same time I'm picking up a few other odds and ends. I like the sock idea too.

Thanks everyone. It might not be my biggest expense of the year but it's kind of fun to think about things like this.

17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    OP/TECH USA Hood Hat - Mini Black

The 45mm with hood fits just snug enough not to fall out, deep enough so that the cap is even with the top. The MMF-3 adapter also fits in this hood eqaully as well.

18. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Are you talking about cases for storage at home, or in a bag? At home, I use a padded Rubbermaid box. On the go, the lenses are separated by padded dividers in a camera bag. I used to fiddle with pouches, but they were a pain when swapping lenses.

19. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    +1 for neoprene Matin pouches, but in large and extra large size are too big for mu4/3 lenses.

20. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil

Mostly in the bag. Often if I'm out for shooting for a while, though, I'll shove the 45 in a pocket while I'm carrying around the camera with my 20 attached.

edit: That "hood hat" is such a cool idea!