1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens (PL25mm) not screwing/mouthing smoothly to GH3! HELP?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by magellan, Jun 21, 2014.

1. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    All of a sudden when I went to mount my beloved Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 to my Panasonic GH3 it wasn't the smooth clicking I was used to feeling, rather a gritty and grinding feel and the GH3 tells me the lens is not on all the way. When the lens is on all the way it feels almost like I forced it a little bit and is a tiny (only a little bit) loose. I do not want to damage the camera's mount but I never have had this problem before with the lens so it is weird. I did just get a new lens and mount it on to the camera (Olympus 40-150mm) if that affects anything. Pictures are attached of the camera's mount and lens mount if anything can be detected.

Do you think it is a problem with the lens mount, because other m4/3 lens mouth smoothly? It is funny because this lens worked fine yesterday and nothing has happened to it in between.

Attached Files:

2. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Sorry the pictures are not flipped, the forum did that to them I think.

3. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Is it just an optical illusion, or is one of the mounting screws on the lens (at 9 o'clock) not as flush as the others ? have you tried with a screwdriver to see if any of the lens mount screws are loose at all ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Just an illusion, all the screws are tight.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    check and clean the underneath of the bayonet flanges on the GH3 and the DG25

6. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    What red flags should I look for (because they look fine)?

7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Clean them anyway, all engaging surfaces on both lens and body mount. Finish with Giottos Rocket Blower (camera held upside down so any dust, dirt, or debris falls out and not in towards the sensor. Or very very gentle vacuum.

8. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    No luck :frown:. I mounted the lens anyways because I wanted to shoot with it and it works fine - is it at jeopardy of damaging the sensor's surface though?

9. profgregorio

profgregorio Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    It is possible that it was just not aligned properly when you tried to mount it.

10. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    No, I have mounted and unmounted it several times now.

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Time for a serviceman to take a look. Let us know how it goes. An interesting issue.

12. magellan

magellan Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Argh, an expense and time I am not sure I can afford with a shoot at the end of the week. I will try to get to see one.