lens or camera advice

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by scottyboy, Sep 11, 2015.

1. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    I have a Panasonic G3 . thinking of a olympus 9 -18 lens. or would a upgrade to a panasonic GX7 be the better move. I can get the GX7 body only, new for $540.00 about $100.00 more than the lens. thanks
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    A new body will not get you a wider focal length.

We can help you better by giving us a little more regarding what problems you are wanting to solve with your purchases or is this a GAS attack?
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What are you struggling with more in your current photos, getting a wider FoV, or getting less noisy or blurry images? The lens fixes problem one, the body fixes problem two.
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Usually lens over body is a good way of thinking, especially if you need a wide angle and don't have one, for example, but the upgrade from G3 to GX7 is a pretty big one in my book. Personally, the user experience is so much better with the 7 I would go that way. YMMV. :)
  5. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO

no problems , had the 9 -18 before and loved it. or would a camera upgrade be the better move .my g3 is in great shape . I have the panny.14 mm , panny. 20mm , oly.45mm. lenses and the 14 - 42 kit lens .
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I agree with demiro. Usually lens, but in this case the body upgrade is worth it. The GX7 has an electronic shutter, focus peaking, smartphone connectivity, a significantly better sensor, touch focus with the EVF (I think that was introduced with G5), higher shutter speeds, better dynamic range, and probably a lot of upgrades I'm forgetting. The upgrade from the G3 to the GX7 is a fairly big jump. And it will serve you well until the GH5/G9/GX9s are on closeout :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    If you are happy with the G3 and don't feel like it's holding you back, I'd go for the lens and put off the body upgrade until you feel it's getting in your way.
  8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    The more you wait before upgrading the body the better the new one is going to be.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO

lens over body is how I started . the lens is not a need I just like it. gx7 seems to be well liked and gets good reviews so I thought maybe it would be a nice upgrade for the price.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd probably get the GX7. In-body stabilization, great body and really good price these days (I think you could get it cheaper than $540).
  11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    In this case I agree that its smart to look at bodies also. The G3 is still good, but there have been significant upgrades since. I use my old GX1 and 14 and as a spare body and carry anywhere small kit, your G3 can serve the same purpose.
  12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    As I said in other thread, last Christmas season new GX7 body was $377 and couple more deals at $399 and $432 - just wait couple months.
  13. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    these are all reasons why I was thinking maybe an upgrade would be a good move
  14. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I would go for the GX7, especially if the G3 is your only body. In addition to all of the features, the GX7 sensor will be a nice upgrade, even though the MP out is the same.