Lens or bodies

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by inuini2005, Dec 4, 2013.

1. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Probably this has been discussed somewhere in the forum, yet I would like to raise this question for open discussion. Recently there are many new releases, Olympus EM1, Panasonic GX7, Sony A7/A7R, Nikon Df, lots and lots.
    Yet after having this gear addition, it all started since the introduction of the PEN series, I have been collecting or expanding my gear at a pretty substantial rate. However after getting the EM5 and 5D Mark III, I notice most of the expansion falls into the addition of lenses and to be specific legacy glasses. Just now I saw a member posting his wish for a FW update on incorporating Focus Peaking on the EM5 and that initiates me to write up this post.
    Don't you feel that manufacturers tend to throw some new features one by one in order to make money? And digital products won't last for life and value which makes it a bit silly to chase after digital bodies. I was once doing so, but after putting aside my EP2 and using my EM5, I feel that it's indeed enough for me to stop chasing bodies :) Yet of course I feel kind of envy or jealous when seeing others rocking the latest gears, the temptation comes @@"

My point is, I now go after lenses instead of bodies. I could have got the EM1 but instead I put the money on an OM 90mm F2 Macro and an OM 100 F2.

I just imagine, it won't take long for Olympus or Panasonic to release mirrorless FF bodies, and perhaps I might be tempted to go for one. But at least not for the current flood of new products without significant changes or improvements.

What do you guys think? No offense to those who have upgraded their gears, I do envy you a lot but my pocket and THE BOSS won't allow :)

Please feel free to share your thoughts!
    Cheers, happy photography!

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    It is all a cost benefit analysis depending on what you particularly want to get out of photography and what the difference between the latest camera and whatever you have will give you. Every cost is opportunity cost: for the net cost of upgrading a body (that is, cost of new body minus eBay sale value of existing body), you get certain improved features. For that same cost, you can also buy other things, such as lenses, accessories, new clothes, a short holiday, etc.. If you spend that amount of money on a new body, you will not have it available to spend on anything else. You should therefore consider whether the net benefit of the new body outweighs the net benefit of anything else on which you can spend that same amount of money.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Both are important, but glass will last a few generations of bodies. I happily shot my 300D (Canon, 6 megapixel sensor) for 6 years before replacing it with a 5D mark II. In the meantime I collected a 70-200/2.8L, 17-40L, macro lens, and a couple of 50's. Honestly, if the E-M5 hadn't been stolen, I wouldn't have ordered the E-M1 and would have waited at least one more generation (every other gen body is usually plenty good enough for me). The 5DII is getting sold not because it doesn't produce wonderful pictures, but because it's so big and bulky I don't take it out to play enough to justify ownership. So I'm slowly selling off the lenses and the body, and will replace that with an A7r, which will let me shoot some of my favourite manual focus glass at the focal length it's supposed to work at (Contax 50/1.4 and 35/2.8 lenses I picked up for a song).

For all-round, MFT is an ideal system. Great bodies, lots of great glass options to select from, and incredibly range. But every time I take my 5DII out with a fast fifty and a fast 35, I'm struck by the richness in the files I don't quite get with the E-M5 (or, I'll wager, the E-M1). My big hope is that Sigma will support Sony's FF NEX line (their 50/1.4 and 35/1.4 would be my dream team combo), and that Zeiss will release a native 21mm. Fullframe with stupid megapixels for my landscaping, 'slow shooting' needs, and an E-M1 for my 'everything' and travel needs. It's a fantastic time for a photography hobby.

4. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I sold a Nikon D2Xs and an array of pro Nikon glass in order to switch systems to M43. The body dropped in value like a stone whilst the lenses pretty much sold for 90% of what I bought them for. What I took away from this is: (a) invest in the most expensive glass you can afford/justify; and, (b) either swap bodies frequently and take a haircut; or, (c) buy one you like and sweat the asset until it dies.

N

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would not hold your breath on this one, at least with respect to Olympus. Some FF or APS-C fixed lens cameras might be possible, but I seriously doubt they will create a new mount given current market conditions and their financial troubles.

--Ken

6. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    There is a third option, which is to buy last-generation bodies secondhand, and be the one giving the haircut rather than taking it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't know how to answer the OP without some idea of what his priorities and needs are. If it is just a desire to collect more gear it surely makes sense to spend on lenses because they hold value much better than bodies (as others have pointed out). If you need something that a new body can deliver, however, then that might make more sense.

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    For what its worth, 43 rumors posted that Panasonic might produce cameras which share a new Leica mount… so we might see FF Panasonic bodies witch can mount Leica lenses (as well as Lumix lenses with new mount). I dread this just a little bit. Not that I think they will drop m43, but I'm sure I'll want it, and Leica glass is expensive.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-leica-w...era-panasonic-will-join-the-new-leica-system/

9. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Do you think Olympus will stick to m43 instead of going mirrorless FF?

10. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Indeed I have a desire to collect gears, both bodies and lenses, yet I feel that the prices of the bodies couldn't justify the improvements and the rate of body updates, it seems better to keep lenses instead of chasing after bodies, that's what I feel :)

11. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    yes

what's in it for them? they don't manufacture sensors, and to produce a new range of lenses for a FF body doesn't seem to make a huge amount of business sense.

they have 3 lenses loosely scheduled for delivery to an already huge m43 market, and plenty of scope for 1-3000$ units capable of resolving to the existing sensors.

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    In addition to what photo_owl stated, I just cannot see them launching a new lens mount. They released the E-M1 to help keep their dwindling 4/3rd's base in their camp, and they are losing money without much of an end to the losses in sight. To a degree, camera companies sell systems, even if folks do not buy much more than a basic kit. Why would anybody buy an Olympus FF camera if there were little to no lenses available? I do believe that Olympus could launch some larger sensor fixed mount bodies, as these are discrete, but right now I suspect that Olympus has bet the farm on m4/3rd's.

--Ken