Lens options for Alaska Cruise, and suggestions !!!

abhisheks77

Mu-43 Regular
Hello,
I will be going on 7 days Alaskan cruise, from Seattle in first week of June. My current kit is E-M1 with 12-40mm f/2.8, 50-150mm f/2.8 and in prime I have 45mm + 75mm.
Few questions -
1- Apart from being on cruise, one day I will drive from Skagway to Yukon and back. And I will have one full day at Ketchiken and half day at Juneau. Please suggest, if you have any tips on these days. Not long hikes because, going with family this time.
2- Wide is required, so 12-40mm is must I believe. For any wildlife during land excursions, is 40-150mm too less ? I was going through some old posts and few suggested that either take 300mm or use MC-14 (both needs to buy, if I need). Just 40-150mm is too short for wilds.
3- Last time I visited Anchorage, Denali, Seward in end of August. Due to recent rain, it was lush green and fortunately found some good day (not damp or overbright). In first week of June, what kind weather I can expect? I have CPL as well.
Suggestions please.
Thanks

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
My uncle did an Alaskan cruise, and really liked the Panasonic 100-300 for shots of glaciers from the boat.

Brenji49

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Alan
For Ketchikan itself you'll probably be happy with just the 12-40. Same with Juneau, though if you take the tram to the top of the mountain you may want more reach. The only bears and eagles that I saw were beyond comfortable range of the 70-300. Wish that I would have had something like 420mm+ but only took 12-40, 70-300, and 25mm f1.4. The boat that I was on was reasonably close to whales. A 40-150 would have been enough. We traveled in May and inside passage from Juneau was 40 F + or - a few degrees and wet the entire time from Juneau to Ket. From Ketchikan back to Juneau on outside passage was probably 10-15 F warmer and mostly sunny. Have a great time. It's a spectacular place.

abhisheks77

Mu-43 Regular
For Ketchikan itself you'll probably be happy with just the 12-40. Same with Juneau, though if you take the tram to the top of the mountain you may want more reach. The only bears and eagles that I saw were beyond comfortable range of the 70-300. Wish that I would have had something like 420mm+ but only took 12-40, 70-300, and 25mm f1.4. The boat that I was on was reasonably close to whales. A 40-150 would have been enough. We traveled in May and inside passage from Juneau was 40 F + or - a few degrees and wet the entire time from Juneau to Ket. From Ketchikan back to Juneau on outside passage was probably 10-15 F warmer and mostly sunny. Have a great time. It's a spectacular place.
Thats what I was also thinking. Adding MC-14 can help but not up to great extent. I don't have it and need to buy it sometime.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you really need the reach, after the 75-300, I would stick a 500 mirror in the bag.
The Olympus 500/8 mirror is about the size of the 12-100/4. Just add the Olympus to m4/3 dumb converter.

BUT the mirror lens is NOT stabilized, so you need a camera with IBIS.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom