Lens observations from 3 days in Yosemite, esp. 12-32

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tlovegrove, Apr 30, 2014.

1. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    I recently spent three days in Yosemite with an E-M5 and G6. Here are my lens observations:

The Panasonic 12-32 is my favorite lens. It did such a great job, nearly indistinguishable from the Panasonic Leica 25mm that I was also shooting with (unless you pixel peep really closely to find a bit less sharpness). And it is so small and light - the G6 + 12-32 is just an incredible little combination. Though not as small as GM1 + 12-32 would be, it is so much easier to hold and haul around over rough terrain, because of the DSLR-style grip. Silver lens on black body looks a bit funny, but otherwise. :smile:

The Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 did very well, of course, but outdoor landscape photography probably isn't where it shows off its stuff the most. I would have been fine without it.

The Sigma 60mm is a great lens, though not often useful for landscapes. I'll make another post with some portrait pics from that lens.

The Olympus 40-150 was my only telephoto, and it was just too short. I knew that in advance, but couldn't afford anything longer. I look forward to getting one of the Panasonic zooms down the road.

After the trip I decided to move to all Panasonic bodies - I posted about that over on the Panasonic forum.

Pictures, with exif data, are here if you want to see them.

Tim

• Like Like x 2
  2. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    Tim, I'm curious where you found the 40-150 to be too short? Wildlife? I recently purchased a used copy of the Panasonic 100-300 and am impressed. It seems most sharp to me around 150mm, but I'll have more opportunity to put it through its paces this weekend. I'm hoping to try wildlife at 300mm on a tripod.

Doug

3. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I think with telephoto lenses you'll always want longer! I too picked up a used copy of the 100-300mm and I'm very happy with it.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Grrr...I keep hearing great things about the 12-32, and given its size, it seems to be a spectacular little achievement for M4/3. I was all set to buy one, but here in Korea, the black version is $90 (!!!) more expensive than the silver....I'll wait 'till prices normalize haha.

5. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    Actually, I most wanted to use it as a telescope :) What I mean is that we were enjoying finding people climbing on El Capitan, looking down at people on the Nevada/ Vernal Falls overlooks, etc. It would have been fun to get all the way in and see them / get their picture, especially the climbers.

Unfortunately there was not much wildlife to be found.