1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

lens noise on Lumix G2

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by wildsunflowers, Aug 19, 2010.

1. wildsunflowers

wildsunflowers New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2010
    Hi, I am new to this forum and DESPERATELY need help. I purchased G2 and was so happy with the camera till...... I decided to record a motion picture. The kit lens is extremely loud, not the focusing mechanism that some people complain about, but a rubbing noise (that gets recorded on audio) that seems to originate from friction between two lens tubes. In addition the zooming motion is extremely uneven and results in jerky video recordings.
    This is my third try. I returned the two previously purchased G2s in the hope that the replacement kit lens would be from another production batch and better. The one I got just now turns out to be the worse:frown:. Did anyone else have this experience and what did you do. Thanks for any help

2. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I have a G2 but haven't used it for video. The kit lens (14-42mm) is not as robust as the previous kit lens (14-45mm). The lens that was built by Panasonic specifically with video use in mind is the 14-140mm. It takes good stills also and the focal range makes it a great walk-around or travel lens for times you only want to take one lens. If you are serious about video, I would look in that direction or perhaps the older 14-45mm would be better also. I am sure someone here who shoots video will add some more advice.

3. wildsunflowers

wildsunflowers New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2010
    Thank you. Could I please ask you to test your G2. No need to record movie; just zooming in reg. pic and being mindful of the noise. The zooming noise I am getting is like somebody was rubbing their shoe on the floor....it is definitely not auto the focus motor. Additionally the tension of the lens while zooming is uneven. In my opinion this renders the video part of the camera unusable. I just can't believe that Panasonic would produce something so bad. I am still hoping (naively possibly:) that maybe, by some stroke of luck, I got all of them from the same batch.....I bought them from Amazon, as I do not see anyone else having the same problem. Thank you; I very much appreciate your help:).

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I can vouch for the silence of the 14-140 and the noisiness of standard MFT lenses (on Pana and Oly). You could try setting the camera to manual focus (if it suits the subject matter).

5. Porky4

Porky4 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Staffordshire, UK
    There just happens to be one for sale here on mu-43. Nice fellow selling it too! :biggrin:

Paul :cool:

6. Jerry_R

Jerry_R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2010
    I attached 20mm and 45mm to G2 and focusing sound is terrible - both AF and MF.
    I think it was much more better with GH1 which I used to have. It had built in microphone in different location, probably that explains it.

QUESTION
    I wonderr if using external microphone will make these focusing sounds disappear?
    Or only will make them weaker?