1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens mounts with small adapters.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, May 30, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I was wondering what are some lens mounts other than m39 that have small adapters? I have used m42 lenses but the adapter for that is pretty big, and makes the camera less portable. My question is i was thinking of buying some more legacy lenses but i am wondering which lens mounts have the smallest adapters?

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    As a rule, no adapter for a 35mm FF SLR lens mount will be significantly smaller than the m42 mount adapter you've used. 35mm FF SLR mounts will be from ~22 to ~30mm long. The thinest will be the Konica AR adapters, which will be slightly less than 5mm thinner than an M42 adapter.

Small adapters exist only for those mounts with a relatively short "register", the mount face to film/sensor distance. These will either be for mounts from 35mm rangefinders (LTM, Leica M, ...) or for cameras using smaller formats than 35mm FF (e.g. Olympus Pen 1/2 frame SLR, Pentax 110, C-mount, ...). Some of these are for lenses designed for formats smaller than m4/3, such as C-mount, and the lenses frequently have quality issues toward the edges of the frame, sometimes severe issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
  4. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    "Smaller" mounts from smallest to largest:
    C-mount
    Pentax 110
    Leica M
    M39
    Contax G
    Pen F

"Bigger" mounts from smallest to largest:
    Contax RF
    Nikon S
    Olympus Four Thirds
    Konica AR
    Canon FL/FD
    Minolta SR
    Exakta
    Pentax K
    M42
    Contax C/Y
    Olympus OM
    Nikon F
    Leica R

You also need to consider the lens you're looking at though. The Olympus OM mount is huge, but something like the OM 50/1.8 is tiny so the overall size is smaller than a lot of lenses on smaller adapters.

5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    C-Mount for 16mm movie camera lenses are as small as it gets. The mount is recessed several mm into the camera body. At the bottom of this page is youtube link that will provide you with starting info.

Obviously a bad photo. The the hole is 1 inch diameter.
    full.

These are some of my favorite lenses though I seldom use them since manual focus gets difficult for “senior” eyes.

The Kodak Cine Ektar 25, f/1.4 is super tiny, only 1” long x 1” dia.
    8799575171_b99e8f05ec_z. Kodak Cine Ektar 25-1.4 by Chrome Dome, on Flickr

8810155046_9d9e1019cf_z. Kodak Cine Ektar 25, f1.4 by Chrome Dome, on Flickr

This is a good informational video:

This database of older C-mount lenses is amazing. It indicates the amount of coverage each produces on the M4/3 sensor. It includes beautifully illustrates relative image sensor coverage.

Note: Generally a lens needs to be at least 25mm (1”) for full or near-full sensor coverage. Vignetting (unexposed or partial unexposed circle around image) occurs if full coverage isn’t provided.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  6. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Interesting.. Can you find these on ebay like any other legacy lenses?

7. Rum Maximus

Rum Maximus Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2013
    LV, NV
    Mattimus
    Yes.

I've yet to pull the trigger on any c-mount lenses but they're on the "To Buy" list eventually. Most likely I will get all OCD and it will take a while before I settle on just the right lens (or lenses) to buy.

8. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Yes you can. I suggest first consider the specific contemporary ones in the YouTube video and those our MFT colleagues recommend. These legacy lenses will be much older than SLR ones you might have. Most will have VERY stiff aperture and focus rings because the lubricant grease will have dried. If you decide to take chances with legacy ones, I think you will find enjoyable optics. Be certain it is a C- mount and the optics are clear and free of fungus.

9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    yes
    be aware that many cmount do not cover the frame fully. Having said that my fav cmount is the 12.5mm
    for instance this lens
    4057183715_c8b9d220e8.

doesn't cover the frame fully
    4001914010_0905e413c1.

but that isn't bad in some instances

3712918693_f72481d1a1_z.

then there is the pentax 110 lenses (which do cover the frame) but which do not have any aperture control.

Left side lens is the OM 50mm f1.8 on its adapter and on the right side is the Pentax 110 50mm f2.8

4330790876_8caef3e279_z.
    Personally I don't find that a problem because if I was going to stop down more I'd use a native lens anyway.
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2010/02/pentax-110-adapted.html

the 50mm on my GF1
    gf-50.

my light travel kit (now superceded with the 45mm f1.8 Oly native cos I got one so cheap)

gf+50+14.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2013/10/keeping-my-compact-camera-compact.html

best of luck

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Which brands of c mount 16mm lenses are good? Just took a quick look at ebay and saw the two brands Wollensak raptar and Kern switar. Are these brands any good?

11. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    They are both good lenses. The Cine designation indicates better level of optics.

Look at the database and graph!
    It tell the important nessessary information to evaluate if and how well the lens is mated to MHT usage.

See Machining and Coverage* columns.

Manufacturer Model FL Aperture Machining Coverage*
    Wollensak Cine Raptar 25 1.9 no full>22mm
    Kern Switar 25 1.4 Yes ~18mm IC

Wollensak: No. It does not require machining to focus properly. It's image circle is greater (>) than 22mm = greater than). Look at the 22mm circle on the graph it is larger than the MFT sensor.

Kern
    : YES. It will require costly machining for the lens to achieve correct the focus. It's image circle of 18mm will cover the 16:9 format with vignetting. See 18mm circle on graph.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  12. Rum Maximus

Rum Maximus Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2013
    LV, NV
    Mattimus
    Supposedly there are adapters for the Pentax Auto-110 lenses which have aperture controls built into them. I've yet to find any despite searching. It would be interesting to see what the results are of stopping down the Auto-110 lenses but I am not sure the $$$ spent on an adapter w/ a built-in iris would be worth it other than from a novelty perspective.

One other thing to be aware of colbycheese - don't buy d-mount lenses. They look almost identical to the c-mount lenses and will screw into a c-mount adapter, but have a different register distance and they end up working like crap.

13. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Good point Mattimus. D-mounts are for 8mm cameras. That's why to specific C-mount. Also make sure that it's not a "Finder" lens. More expensive 16mm rotary cameras have multiple lenses with a paired "view finder" lens.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    In my opinion the m39 (Leice thread mount) is the best size for m4/3rds being "just right" and designed for rangefinder bodies.
    The smaller mounts like C-Mount can prject inside the body a bit and some lenses are not even mountable.
    The Pentax auto-110 mount is small but then most of the lenses are so tiny getting to grips with their focus rings is fiddly.

m39 lenses just feel right on these bodies and there's enough meat on the adapter to have an alignment ring and decent grip grooves.

• Like Like x 1
  15. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    M39 Rangefinder lens are nice and small and require only a slim adapter, but they tend to have very long minimum focus distances, often about a metre or more. Personally I prefer Olympus Pen F lenses. They're about the same size with a similarly sized adapter but tend to have a much closer minimum focus distance, at least in the case of the two Pen F primes I have, the 38mm f1.8 and 25mm f4, which have MFDs of of 35cm and 25cm respectively. Having said that, my Pen F 50-90mm f3.5 zoom has an MFD of 1.5m!

The other benefit is that, at least on Olympus bodies, they really look 'native'.

17643953956_df9739f1b8_z. Olympus E.Zuiko 25mm f4 Pen F, with hood by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

16990510239_63aa4c6f9d_z. E-PL5 with Olympus F. Zuiko 38mm f1.8 by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  16. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Most RF lenses, particularly those in LTM and M-mount, are limited to a min. focusing distance of roughly 1m. This is because of limitations in the rangefinder focusing used in these cameras. Only a very few will focus closer, such as the Leitz "dual range" Summicron 50mm f/2.0 which focuses to 19-20" depending on version.

Prime lenses made for film SLRs generally have a minimum focusing distance of roughly 10x their FL, though some don't focus that close. This 10x the FL limit is imposed because with lenses that focus moving the whole optical system start to require photographically significant exposure correction past that point. At 10x the FL the "bellows factor" is 1/3 stop. Classic zooms from epochs prior to the "macro zoom fad" from the '70s often only focus to 10-20x their longest focal length regardless of zoom setting.

The Oly Pen F 1/2 frame SLR lenses are a nice fit. So are the various LTM (Leica Thread Mount often erroneously labeled M39) and Leica M-mount lenses also are good choices if the minimum focusing distance limit isn't an issue. I personally rather like using my adapted LTM mount Jupiter-8 50mm f/2.

• Like Like x 1
  17. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    At this point, i would get one of these Pen F lenses, but they seem to cost a lot more than they should on ebay. I don't know where else i could find them.

18. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    D mount lenses have a smaller thread than C mount, the worse lookalike is CS mount, which have an identical screw thread to C mount, but 5mm less rear flange distance.
    Most of the lenses less than 25mm focal length I've brought that were described as C mount turned out to be CS mount, sometimes with a front element so recessed that it was impossible to get a subject close enough to focus making them useless even for macro.

I have seen a 3D printed adapter for D mount lenses somewhere on the internet, but I don't think I'll bother.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I was watching a 38mm f1.8 Pen F lens on eBay only yesterday. It ended up going for about £25. I'm watching another from a Lithuanian seller which is at £9.99 with two days to go.

I bought mine at the end of last year from Japan for about £60, if memory serves me right. Last month I bought the 25mm f4 (with case, caps & hood) for about £45 from a UK seller on ebay, and the 50-90mm f3.5 was only £21. It takes a bit of patience but there are sometimes affordable Pen F lenses on eBay.

The three I have are among the least collectable Pen F lenses and are probably the cheapest in the range, but I've been really impressed with the performance of them all. I'd recommend the 38mm f1.8 as a first buy. It's also the easiest to find.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    A speedbooster slightly reduces the register compared to a straight optical path with no elements, Canon EF to M4/3 speedbooster is 18.44mm thick (although the majority of lenses for EF are large with the exception of pancakes, and bayonet is also huge).

• Agree Agree x 1