Lens mounts question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by brianvickers, Jul 6, 2011.

1. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I'm new to four thirds, how can I tell which lenses are four thirds mount or micro four thirds mount?
    there are many lenses listed on the web but I can't tell which are which.

2. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    • Like Like x 1
  3. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks for the links....am I right that m zouko is micro four thirds and zouko is four thirds

4. rcferraris

rcferraris Mu-43 Regular

you are right. m.zuiko is for micro and zuiko is for four thirds indeed

• Like Like x 1
  5. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    just a small warning though, it seems that even though all "m.zuiko" are micro four thirds, not all "zuiko" are four-thirds... there are some older Olympus lenses on some sort of other mount(s) using the Zuiko name, so they obviously would not use the same adapters as regular four thirds lenses with automated functions

though best I can tell the new lenses are Zuiko= 4/3 and M. Zuiko = mu4/3

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    zuikos fro digital usually have ZD in their full name - older Olympus Zuiko lenses will be for the OM series of 35mm film SLRS or the original Pen=F...which is a half frame camera that used 35mm film, but got 72 shots on a 36 exposure film...... see Olympus have a long history with 'small sensors'

k

7. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks Guys, it's all becoming clearer now. I'm waiting for my first Pen (e-p1) to be delivered. I've never had an Olympus before but used to yearn for one of the OM film SLRs, and my brother had a brilliant Trip, I have had Minoltas and canons before. Very much hope the pen lives up to expectations!

8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Zuiko is the brand name of all Olympus lenses since their first 75mm-f/4.5 harking back to 1936.

It means 'lightning' in japanese, and for all matter and purpose, it means 'original olympus-designed and (generally*) olympus-made lens'.

Cheers,

*there were unproven but persistent rumors some cheaper OM lenses have been outsourced as a cost saving measure.