Lens mount

photoeagle

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Brad Harris
I was reading that the kit lens for the G7,is plastic. Has one experience any issues of it breaking.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
The lens is barely over an inch long, I can't imagine how it would be a problem?

listers_nz

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Simon
The kit lens is the Panasonic 14-42mm II. IIRC they all have a plastic mount, and I don't recall reading of any issues with the mount. The lens is pretty light, so I can't see it would be a big issue. FWIW there are a number of micro four thirds lenses (and no doubt lenses for other systems) with plastic mounts.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
There are also plastic mounts used on some DSLR lenses. Even with these failures are not often reported.
Do bare in mind that there are hundreds of different types of plastic, some of which have excellent mechanical properties. Cheaper metal mounts (as found in many adapters) are IMO more likely to break than quality plastic ones when under the same loading.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Plastic has been used for DSLR lens mounts for over a decade. There are some practical advantages to non-metallic mounts:
- There is a bit of yield to the material and lower friction means less force is required to mount and remove lenses from the bodies.
- If you whack the end of a mounted lens, the mounting flanges of the lens will probably fracture before the impact force deforms the body and the lens mount. Getting a lens mount replaced is cheaper than replacing or repairing a body back in into alignment tolerances.

Latest threads

Top Bottom