1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens Mount Compatibility

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Mogul, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    At this stage in the development of :43: equipment, this may seem like an overly simple question, but nowhere can I find a direct answer.

I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 camera with a kit 14-42 lens. Aside from Lumix lenses made for this camera, what makes and/or models of lenses can be mounted to the G3 body directly, without an adapter, and function properly (focus to infinity, AE, AF, etc.)?

As an aside, would it be possible to attach an adapter to mount an older Nikon mount Tamron 28-300 lens or even an AIS 70-300 lens? Finally, is there an Adaptall mount which would allow me to mount my G3 to my Meade telescope (knowing that all automatic gunctions would be lost)?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Olympus m.Zuiko Digital lenses (m is for micro).

Nikon F to m4/3 mount adapters are plentiful and easy to use. There are also Adaptall-m4/3 and T mount-m4/3 adapters. See e.g. TELESCOPE CAMERA ADAPTERS |TelescopeAdapters.com .

3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The Meade telescopes, like all similar scopes, do not have backs that accept Adaptall mount adapters. Adaptall in an ancient adapter series owned by Tamron. The more modern version is the Adaptall 2 (often "Adaptall II") series, but again, these are not usable with scopes.

The mount system commonly used with scopes is the T-mount system. This standard has been used by a wide range of lenses and other optical devices. There are m43 T-mounts available that would attached to the appropriate "back" on the Meade scopes.

4. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    As said above, all Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 system lenses will work like that on your camera, as well as Sigma's 19mm and 30mm. Other third-party lenses for the system are currently manual focus only, I believe?

Here's a list of m4/3 lenses:
    Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

5. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Go to the B&H website, Photography - Lenses - Mirrorless System Lenses, scroll down to Lens Mount, and click on Micro Four Thirds. B&H lists 48 different lenses, several manufacturers.

6. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks for the directions. May I assume from the way the lenses are named that the Panasonic and Olympus :43: mounts are identical? Is the same true of newer Voightlander lenses? Is :43: a generic term or is it specific?

I'm sorry if these questions seem repetitive; I'm trying to get this concept clear in my mind. Thanks for your patience.

7. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Of course, how ridiculous can I be. After all these years, I still use the term "Adaptall" when I should be using "T-mount". Thanks for the reminder from someone who really shouldn't need a reminder.

Here comes that senile old f@#t again, Martha!

8. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    All m43 mounts are identical, the only thing to keep in mind is that with most third-party lenses (except Sigma) you only have manual focus currently. So you can pick up any of Olympus or Sigma m4/3 lenses and use it on your G3 just like you would a m4/3 Lumix lens.

9. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Anything with a m43 mount. Same as any other system. Here's a list of fully compatible lenses. There are adapters to mount practically any type of lens, but you lose AF of course.

10. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Two things that have been alluded to but not yet made explicit:
    -Any micro 4/3 lens will mount without an adapter. Any autofocus m4/3 lens will autofocus. Right now I believe that is just Panasonic, Olympus, and Sigma
    -Four thirds lenses (e.g. Non-micro) will AF with the right adapter. They seem to be slower, though.

11. rclary

rclary New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2012
  12. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    The only other thing to be aware of with m4/3 lenses is that Panasonic puts stabilization in the lens (OIS), while Olympus does it in-body. So, with a G3, you'll only have stabilization with a Panasonic OIS-designated lens.

13. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    There are more third party manufacturers than just Sigma. For instance Samyang make a really great fisheye. Voigtlander make some fast primes. Anyone can make a m43 lens really, particularly if it's manual focus only, then they don't even need approval.