Lens Line Up for Comparison...

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I started this thread because I have the opportunity to motor around the city and other locals frequently.

In reading along here, and in other threads, I note some folks, (and I assume they're young or younger than many of us), asking about acquiring a "prime lens for portrait work", or a compact lens for street shooting. (In fact the last lens on the right was recommended by Shooter in another thread.)

It occurs to me that many have never seen an assortment of normal range prime lenses side by side etc. for comparison sake. It's the best way to judge for oneself how the lens might look poking out of your Oly or Panny. Remember to allow for the adapter.

Today I visited a friend... from days gone by. Mike owns and operates a small camera repair store on the East Side of Providence. I asked if he was familiar with the m43 trend etc. He allowed me to line up some primes and shoot them (unfortunately hand held) to post here for your viewing pleasure.

I also mentioned that mu-43 might be a nice place for him to visit. Hopefully he'll get onboard and make some of his lenses available via the classifieds here. I'd venture to say that any of these lenses would be an easy for a tight budget...

From Left to right:

MD Rokkor 45mm f.2 - MC Rokkor 55mm f1.7 - MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 - MC Rokkor 55mm f1.7 - Olympus 50mm f1.8 - Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/58555870@N04/5426406278/" title="Lens height by Alan Roseman, on Flickr">
5426406278_a8022723d5_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"640" height="165" alt="Lens height" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/58555870@N04/5426406588/" title="Lens Face by Alan Roseman, on Flickr">
5426406588_72e49955e6_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"640" height="176" alt="Lens Face" /></a>

arpoador

Mu-43 Regular
san francisco ca usa &amp; rio de janeiro br
Hi Jdumas,

I've got three of these (the MD 45/2, the OM Zuiko and the Konica Hexanon). All-in-all, this is a really nice size/focal length for µ4/3 cameras, with a full stop or more light advantage over the Panaleica 45/2.8.

My favorite is the Konica Hexanon. Last summer I took it (and about 3 true µ4/3 lenses, with autofocus and all that) on a trip to LA. I was surprised to find I took more pix with the manual lens than with the automatic ones.

I'll post some sample pix when I get back from work tonight. In the meantime, I'd suggest taking a look at the sample image thread. There's also some general discussion of the lens there: https://www.mu-43.com/f81/konica-40mm-f-1-8-hexanon-ar-image-thread-1822/

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There are lots of shots on this forum with the Hex 40. It's a great, sharp lens. I have both this lens and the Pen F 38mm 1.8. I prefer the latter solely for aesthetic reasons (Oly loyalty!). As you can see: among the smallest of the legacy lenses.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
many people use the 40/1.8 ... if you look at the Adapted lens Image thread, it's the most viewed and has the most posts!
popular because small (even with the adapter), nice and sharp if you get a good example and quite contrasty stopped down, and a useful length.

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Shameless plug: I decided to sell a couple lens (and give away another) today. The Hexanon 40mm is (much to my surprise) still available in Classifieds. :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Top Bottom