Lens Japanese seller eBay: feedback from Canadians?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by greyhat, Mar 2, 2013.

1. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013

I would like to buy a Panasonic lens 12-35mm/f2.8 from an eBay seller in Japan. I would appreciate any tips and personal experience on customs, duty fees, etc.

2. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I don't know if it's exactly correct, but this will give you an idea of what you might get hit with when it lands

New Import Duty & Taxes Calculation | DutyCalculator

If his feedback seems consistent and you're using a credit card/paypal then I don't see it as being any less safe than another transaction.
  3. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Thank you m1pui. This website calculator estimated it around 70$ as 5%fee and zero duty fee. If this is correct, not so bad. Of course plus any handling shipping fee from the seller. I am still a bit cautious of coverage and would be nice to hear actual Canadian experience buying from Japanese seller...
    Thanks again for the link.
  4. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    This isn't really what you asked, but may be useful to you or other Canadians.

If you can find a good price on the lens in The USA and live not too far from the border, you might consider using a mailing service that allows you to send items to them in the USA and pick them up for a fee.

I have done this with the legacy lenses from KEH a few times as the shipping to Canada can be quite high.

As further incentive if you don't find it objectionable and are feeling brave you might bring the item back attached to your camera as though you had just come over with it to take pictures.

I have used one service a few times on items up to $300 and never had a problem. The one I use charges $5 for packages up to 2kg I believe.
  5. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Manzoid, thank you. While this seems interesting, I live in the north and very far from border. :) Thanks for sharing this tip though maybe fir others.
  6. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    A friend bought an Olympus 45mm from Korea some time back. The seller FedEx'ed it out to him with a low declared value, which my friend did not request. FedEx dropped it off without my friend incurring any charges within 4 days. I believe the lens cost him about $350 or 360 landed. I don't know how this Japanese seller will deal with shipping. You could ask him for details and see how comfortable you are with it.
  7. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Turbo, thanks for reply. Actually I sent the seller some questions Nd among them about the duty fee. He said he will wrote off the lens as 98$ value (instead of 900!) also without me asking for this! The fee will be very low. Shipping is 25$ but I forgot to ask method. I am a bit worried in case I needed return or exchange, though? The difference between his price and here in canada is clear $300. Worth consideration but in case of trouble it's hard to deal with Japanese location I guess?
    Also, what about warranty? He said there isnt, shouldn't I be worried from this point?
  8. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    And what if the item is lost/damaged in shipment- if declared value is $98, and if it's insured, you get $98, not what you paid. Will the manufacturer service what is essentially a gray market lens if it needs work down the road (e.g., in the US, Nikon will not)? Is the seller reputable? If you 're not comfortable....
  9. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Ranger, I am not comfortable at all... No matter bow I think it and writing these messages here helped me think "loud"... I don't think I will go through with it even if the price was the correct one and there is warranty, mainly because I usually make exchanges after o try certain electronics... Thanks for your input.
  10. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    :) I just received the lens and it looks amazing and in perfect conditions, good packaging. I didn't have to pay anything extra. Canada mail delivered it to my door. I placed my order last Wednesday and it was shipped Thursday and received today (Wednesday). Fast considering there is weekend. I took some images and video tests and will try to upload them shortly. (Does it have to be through a URL on this forum for stills and videos?)
  11. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Just post them to Flickr or the m4/3 gallery.
  12. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    what seller did you buy from?

i also bought a lens from japan and shipping was cheap and no duty but when i buy from canada and us i get charged alot. seems weird
  13. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Digital, thanks. I'll try flicker or gallery once I have time again.

Arson, I am not sure it's fine to say name of seller here? In all cases once I am sure it's in perfect condition I'll write review about them and will share on eBay. Yes, it weird that in north America much more expensive for us and for me regarding this lens the local store said no return or exchange as it's special order and price would have been 1300 plus tax! I paid now 950$ through eBay includes shipping.
  14. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
  15. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Ok I got the videos on vimeo but I will post a new thread as this one started as a question about the buyer and now I need advice on lens. Thanks all so far for your replies.