lens issue - ever have this happen?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Robert Watcher, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

A strange thing has happened to my 14-42 kit lens for my Olympus E-PL3, this past week. When I zoom in, the LCD screen goes black and displays this error message: "Please Check the Status of a Lens". A picture cannot then be taken. There is a hum in lens/camera

When I zoom out, the error message remains. I turn the camera off and back on and the lens will work at the wide end. Must be something electronic that does not allow the lens to function properly. I'm so used to a lens working or not working. But then I've never been on a position where the lens simply doesn't display.

Thanks for you help in advance.
  2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    You could start by trying to clean the connections. Beyond that I am with you. Either it works or it doesn't. If cleaning the connections doesn't help I would send it in, if it is under warranty.
  3. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    intermitent errors usually mean dirty lens electronic contacts. A check there could possibly solve the problem.
  4. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

I did try cleaning the contacts a couple of times. Is there a "best method" to do that?

BTW - this isn't an intermitent issue. The error always displays when the lens is zoomed in from about 30mm and longer. When zooming out once the error message and black screen appear - then the error message is maintained until I turn the camera off and on again. The shutter cannot be released when the screen is black.

I could send into a service centre I suppose - that is if I weren't living in Nicaragua. It isn't under warranty though. If I can't find a solution, I will just use my first generation 14-42 that came with my E-PL1.

Thanks so much for the help so far.
  5. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Almost sounds like an electrical contact get shorted when components of the lens are moved in a certain way. If you don't feel like sending it in, why not just open it and check it out?

As a not so good workaround, I am guessing your camera has a setting - something like "shoot w/o lens" (my GH3 would say this for adapted lenses (i.e. fully manual). It *may* allow you to take pictures, but mean it can't adjust aperture, af etc, so not much of a solution (especially since most if not all m43 lenses lack aperture ring...)
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Olympus 9-18mm is now a 9-14mm. I can zoom it in and out all the way but as soon as I attempt to focus between 14 and 18mm I get the "please check the status of a lens" (Olympus) or "please check that the lens is attached correctly" (Panasonic) message. To get the lens to work again I need to collapse it and then extend it back to working condition. Turning the camera off and on does not fix the issue.
  7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    The lens either uses a sensor that is attached to the motor/gearbox, or Hall effect devices within the motor itself. Collapsing the lens resets the datum so the software once again knows where it is. It's a repair job, if you want it fixed. I don't think it's a glitch that will repair itself.
  8. Pykedesign

Pykedesign New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2014
    I have the same issue with my 2 year old EPM1 camera - " check the status of a lens" - only on the 14-42 lens
    As my other lens has no issue I have just tried to clean the contacts on the lens itself. Is it a firmware issue ? If so how do you install new firmware ? Shall I get it to a camera repair place here in Sydney ?

Thanks forum