Lens Hoods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LisaO, Feb 23, 2011.

1. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    I always like to shoot with a lens shade both to control lens flare and for protection. Any recommendations for lens hoods for Panasonic 20, Panasonic 14, Olympus 14-42 MK2 and another M4/3 lens that doesn't come with one (in particular the 16mm Sony for the NEX 5)?

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Have you tried an eBay search for "lens hood xx mm" where xx is the thread diameter of the lens? I bought a $10 one for the 20mm this way searching for 46mm (from memory).
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I bought a metal 46mm lens hood for my 20/1.7 at heavystar via eBay; 2 actually, also a short one in case the longer one would vignette, which it doesn't. Prices are low, shipping is also cheap and quite fast in my book.
  4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    I recently bought some stuff of Heavystar and they provide a very good service. Speedy overseas delivery and good prices combined with reasonable postage costs.
  5. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    I bought a lens hood for my kit 18-55 Sony lens on ebay for about eight dollars shipped. Sony wanted 18 dollars plus shipping for the little hood which can't be worth much, but I wanted it for the protection it offers. There are many clones of the factory lens hoods and much cheaper to boot.
  6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I bought a cheap rubber folding one for my EPL1 kit lens. It stays on there all the time folded up and adds therefore no bulk (except a negligible extra width). In terms of 'build quaility' there is nothing wrong with it.
    I haven't had need to use it yet though (bit like the cheap flat hot shoe spirit level I've got, but you lose nothing by it being there if you are not using the shoe for anything else).
  7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Thanks, I've ordered some hoods from Heavystar.
  8. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    In case you're still wondering about the 14-42mm Mk II, there is some discussion here (later on):

I picked up the Leica style lens hood for the 20mm on ebay, but there's a good chance it may cause vignetting on the 14mm wide angle despite the same filter size. I'm sure enterprising forum members and bloggers will report on it soon enough.
  9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I bought a nice 46mm black plastic wide angle lens hood from eBay My World - goshotcamera in CA. About $14 shipped very quickly. Works great on my Panasonic 14mm.
  10. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Step-up ring for lens hood?

This thought just popped into my head.

Since we're concerned about a lens hood vignetting when we use the 14mm setting of the 14-42mm II, why not get a 37mm to 46mm step up ring (or 37 to who knows how many mm?) and use a larger lens hood - it certainly shouldn't vignette.

12. isabel95

I just ordered this one from Adorama

37mm to 46mm step up ring - Adorama.com

I have a 46mm rubber lens hood that I bought for my Panasonic 20mm lens that I'll try using this step up ring on the 14-42 II.

It may not stop flare from the sun but it'll keep my fingers off the lens.

13. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

I have the heavystar lens hood pictured above. I use it on both the 14 and the 20 over a B+H UV filter without vignetting. I also use it on the 14-42 II with a step down ring over a B+H filter without vignetting. One hood, one ring for three lenses.
  14. isabel95

That looks good.
  15. isabel95

Just got the 37mm to 46mm step up ring...

and have to report that when I put the Adorama rubber lens hood on it there was lots of vignetting at the wide end of the 14-42mm so my idea is a no-go.

I can still use the stepup ring to add a 46mm filter, however.

16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Like many things, it's a tradeoff. The ideal hood would be the petal style and it would extend and retract as the lens zoomed.

The idea is to permit only light that is part of the focused image and to block everything else. Any light that is outside the image area just bounces around inside the lens (attenuated as much as possible by almost-but-not-perfectly-black paint) and ends up reducing contrast.

Lacking the ideal, a rubber hood built or trimmed to be suitable for 42mm fl and then rolled back for shorter focal lengths would be an option.
  17. isabel95

I didn't think about rolling back the lens hood, but honestly, a petal style would be much better, so you could direct it (unless it locked into place) to black the most glaring light.

18. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Well .. er ... not to be pedantic but if the shade is exactly suited to the focal length, then the petals are already blocking all the light that can be blocked without vignetting.

If the shade is too short, then your idea could be helpful.