1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens hoods

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by frafra, Oct 13, 2016.

1. frafra

frafra New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2016
    I want to buy lens hoods for Olympus m43 9-18mm, 40-150mm and 60mm.
    Olympus hoods are more expensive than JJC. Are they much better?
    Thanks

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I bought the JJC version for my 45/1.8 lens and am very pleased with it. Based on that one sample I wouldn't hesitate to purchase more of their hoods for other lenses if needed.

EDIT: price difference is about $10-11 for the JJC vs. $28 for the original Oly version (using Amazon.com pricing)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I have both OEM and JJC. Can't tell the difference.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same here, can't tell the difference.

5. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Save the money, buy JJC. I'd bet the same Chinese factory makes both JJC and OEM.

I really like Olympus, but there hood policy is deplorable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Especially when they want $60 for a simple plastic ring! :shakehead:

7. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    Yup. There is a reason there are many designs on Thingiverse too; if you have or access to a 3d printer you could likely find an already designed one for even cheaper than the JJC for a lot of lenses.

All the people who sell 3d printing services around here would charge me more than the JJC hoods... but that's a different problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    Also use JJC exclusively except - wonder of wonders! - with the 12-40 f2.8 which actually comes with a hood. I keep it on the mantelshelf and burn incense around it. For everything else the JJCs have never let me down.

• Funny Funny x 7
  9. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I never understood paying up for name brand hoods. What is a hood - a sturdy piece of plastic. Not a lot of electronics or moving parts to wear out. Just has to block the sun. My cheapo hoods do fine.

10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thankfully they are adding newer style hoods to their PRO lens line. I really like the hood that comes with the 40-150mm PRO zoom. It telescopes out from the lens and makes it much easier to keep the hood on the lens in my camera bag, in fact when I pull the zoom out of my bag it pulls the hood forward so I'm ready to shoot instantly. Yes, I put my lenses in the camera bag without lens caps. That's the reason I have B&W clear filters on all my lenses.
    PS, it helps to keep your camera bag clean!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The 12-40 hood is basically useless. If it provides any service at 12mm, it's way too shallow for use at longer focal lengths. I use the 40-150 Pro and 300 hoods; none of my other lenses have them.

12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm wary of petal hoods on wide angle zooms, IMO they are much less effective at most focal lengths beyond the widest angle FOV with the exception being telephoto zooms. To be honest I keep the hood on as an extra measure of protection for the lens front on the 12-40 zoom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I wonder if they make something that works well for the 12/2.0

As Zensu said, on some of my other lens, I like the hood mainly as a 'bump guard' when doing street.

But I wouldn't mind having the same for my spendy 12mm. Just not sure how much of either benefits (side light, or impact protection) some of the wide angle shades would give.

Seems the 'official' one for that model is basically a $70-ish slip on that you use a screw to tighten down.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I bought a JJC hood for the 14-42 II that I had with my PL5 (now both sold), but it disappointed me. Then I bought JJC hoods for my 45 f1.8 and 60 f2.8 macro and was satisfied. The one for the 60 macro works just like the OEM one does (slides back and forth) once I lubricated the channels with a little wax. Pretty slick and for much, much less than the OEM hoods. Fie on Olympus for not providing hoods with all their lenses!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  15. allanb

allanb New to Mu-43

Jan 21, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I just mentioned a few days ago in another forum here, under Native lenses, that I recently bought a JJC hood for my 12-32mm lens for half the price from Amazon in comparison to the Olympus model's price here in Australia. AND it is better designed than the Olympus one to boot!

16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have two JJC hoods, works great. No need to spend double on Olympus ones.

17. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    I only use rubber lens hoods! They absorb a shock rather than passing the shock to the lens/camera. I think we all have experienced a bump into something hard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I would use a stiff rubber hood but haven't found one. I want one that will absorb impact but not collapse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Giiba

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    This is the very reason I started looking into 3d printed hoods; there are some materials that could do just this. I wish JJC were listening...

20. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The Oly 17/1.8 is like that, and the JJC hood for it is metal and screws down.
    Sometimes it moves, but I'm sure the Oly one is no better.

OP:
    I also have the JJC hoods for the Oly 14-42mm and 40-150R. They're perfect.
    And I'm pretty sure I have the JJC for the Oly 45mm. It doesn't lock on very well anymore, but neither does the Oly hood on my ZD 12-60mm, so it may not be a flaw specific to the JJC.