1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens Hoods?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LisaO, May 2, 2012.

1. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I always like to use lens hood for protection and to reduce flare and have some for many lenses but most M4/3 lenses don't come with one and OEM's cost up to $90.

Any recommendations for third party or Ebay hoods for various native M4/3 lenses?

Thanks!

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    JJC makes quality knock offs of oly's over priced hoods.

3. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Do you have a link for ebay or are they available elsewhere?

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    They're available on eBay....just put 'JJC lens hood' in search.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I just get screw in hoods for my filter size. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    They can also be found on Amazon.

When lenses are designed for bayonet mount hoods, I much prefer them because it's much faster to put them on and take them off, and removes the possibility of cross threading.

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Kood - make some nice shades as well as some in metal all at a good price.

Not sure how available they are globally though

9. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I'm sure this is like Ford vs Chevy truck preferences, but I was at a presentation yesterday by pro Canon Explorer of Light Darrell Gulin, who shoots landscape/travel/wildlife, and he said he never uses a lens hood. Nothing wrong with the hundreds of images he showed us.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I use the hoods more for physical protection than for flare protection. Look at the hood for the Oly 14-42mm II:
    http://i40.tinypic.com/5zhyrd.jpg
    Is that a joke? That hood will shield against jack squat -- and I've had flaring WITH that hood at 14mm! But I use it anyway because it keeps the glass from banging into things. Definitely a better solution than the UV filter stupidity.

11. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    There are a zillion of them on ebay from China, just search by your filter size and pick your preference. I started out with those metal vented ones for the leica look, but have since moved to plain metal ones without the vent (to keep the dust out) and I've added lens caps to each hood (usually a couple of filter sizes larger works, a process of trial and error to find the right size cap for each hood). With these plain metal ones the front element is completely protected from dust getting in when the cap is attached.

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Must be a filter guy then, haha. Hoods for protection, blocking excess light from entering the lens. Doesn't mean you'll take bad pictures, but if a strong light source is in the right spot, it could add flare where a hood would block some of that light and reduce flare. Funny, I've never heard the 'hoods make your pictures worse' argument before! Filters on the other hand...unless they have a purpose (polarizing, ND, IR), to hell with em!

13. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Hoods may cause vignetting at the wider focal lengths. M43 doesn't has as big of a problem because people tend to use larger hoods designed for 35mm cameras.

14. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    When I walk around with a camera or two around my neck or dangling at my side I consider a hood for protection more than I do for control of flair when I'm shooting.

Sure you don't NEED one, a landscape photographer likely keeps his/her camera packed up until they get to their destination then they set up the tripod and mount their camera on it then they will sometimes use and Grad ND filter to balance the exposure of sky and foreground, with that you can't really use a hood anyway.

15. Cheap lazy or old possibly all three. I have a stack of step up rings I got from Amazon. Use them as a lens shade.They all screw together. Start at 49 mm ends at 72-77. You can get cheap step up rings from there on up in size. Think of them as a universal lens shade set. The set was $12.95 USD on Amazon, my guess you can get for less from ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  16. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I feel your pain. I just bought the 12mm f/2 and there's no way in heck I'm going to use that $800 lens without a hood because the second I do, I'm sure I'll swing around and bang it on something and scratch the lens! LOL That's my luck. So, I forked over the NINETY dollars for the official Oly hood. I just can't see putting an aftermarket hood on that lens unless it was really high quality. I just can't believe Olympus doesn't include a hood with the lens. Nikon does....Tamron does....Sigma does...

Oh and I did find an official Olympus hood for the 45mm f/1.8 (for $39). Those seem to be out of stock pretty often.

17. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I would like to see what you end up with.

18. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Right! For $800 it should include a hood!

I forked over $79 for the hood for the 12mm since the shop where I got the lens had it in stock (though they didn't even know it until I spotted it on the shelf).

The ones I found on Ebay had delivery dates in June. Most Ebay sites still seem rather high at about $40 for the hood. I still need one for the 45mm but at least the 12-50 takes the same hood as the 9-18mm that I had but I think I'll get a third party one as an extra.

19. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Oh wait....have you confirmed the hood for the 9-18 Oly does fit the 12-50 Oly exactly? If so, I need to order one. I had one with the 9-18 I sent back but didn't know the hood fits the 12-50 too. Can you confirm?

I got my 12m today and wow it's sweet. Can't wait to shoot with it at home. The hood is metal and very nice too....but expensive. Not too keen on the clamping via the set screw but at least there's a metal band that the screw drives into so it never touches the lens....only the metal band touches the lens so it won't be nicked up and so on.

20. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Disregard my question about the lens hood for the 12-50. I'm looking at the side of the box it came in and sure enough, it shows the LH-55B as the correct hood.