1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens Hoods for Olympus 45mm F1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SNTP, Oct 13, 2011.

1. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    Hey guys, I've seen a couple of posts in different threads about lens hoods for the 45/1.8 and I was wondering if you guys would mind posting/consolidating those items into 1 thread. Please post some good lens hoods for the 45/1.8 here (pictures and links to buy). Please also note if it's bayonet or screw mount, plastic, aluminium, rubber etc. I'm personally looking for bayonet mount lens hoods, but i don't want to pay the rediculous price ($45+ USD) for the olympus one. I'm still kind of bummed that Olympus didn't include a lens hood and carrying case for this lens, but most of that goes away when you shoot with it.
    Thanks Everyone!

2. Antozone

Antozone Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I have lens hood like this..

Description from the seller..

• DV lens hood with bayonet mount fits over any 37mm lens filter or barrel
    • made from high impact plastic
    • rubber ring mount insures tight fit
    • high quality smooth outside and mate inside finish
    • suitable for digital video cameras of all brands
    • Installation: Screw an UV-filter (or any other filter) either directly on the front of the lens or on the adapter.

lens-hood.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

3. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Anyone know how long the hood can extend before photos become vignetted? A lot of the hoods around here seem short for a 90mm eq. FOV.

4. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    It's very hard to say. It depends on the diameter of the front element, the diameter of the hood mount, the angle of the hood, and the field of view. If you know everything there then you could find the length of the hood.

5. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
  6. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Oh, good grief. I just ordered a Leica-style 37mm metal hood because I didn't want to spend $50 and didn't want to wait for the Olympus to be in stock. I should have waited another day before ordering!

Do tell us how you like it. Also, I'd be very appreciative if you could report the overall dimensions. Thanks!

7. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Sure, no problem. From the look of the ad, it seems to have the same dimensions as the original Oly hood for the 45/1.8 (fingers crossed!)...

8. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
  9. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Likely not. I mocked up the Panasonic 45-200mm hood and it's not even close to vignetting.

10. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
  11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Quick question for hood owners (and generally for all 45/1.8 users), in order to install the hood, do you unscrew the front platic ring thingie that is on the front of the lens?

Mine fell off yesterday, and I thought it was broken. I'm hoping that it's designed to come off, rather than a defect on my lens!! Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!!

12. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    Ring (there mostly for aesthetics) is removable and must be removed before putting on a hood.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Yes, that's why I started this thread: @&^#$% Oly 45mm trim ring

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    It's not hard to find out. Make a tube (preferably black paper) that slips over the lens or its hood. Put the camera on a tripod or just a table, pointing at an evenly lit, light-colored wall. Take a picture. Add the tube, pulled back all the way. Take another picture. Slide the tube forward a half inch/10 mm, take another picture. Repeat until you're sure you are vignetting.

Now look (on a big monitor) carefully at your sequence. You'll see the point where the vignetting begins. That's your length. Of course it is best that the tube approximates the diameter of the lens hood you want to use. If it is a lot smaller, then the actual hood can be longer than the tube's vignetting point. Experiment.

BTW, the OP's pictured hood is too short for the focal length. Look at high-end lenses (Nikon 105mm for example) being sold with OEM hoods on eBay and you'll get a sense of what length is required to do a good job.

15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thx WJW and Ronbot! Feel better now!

16. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
  17. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    No word yet from the post. Hoping to get it somewhere this week. I'll give an update as soon as it arrives!

18. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    Chrome vented hood from dzone2 on eBay.. Really nice lens hood that matches the 45mm perfectly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. johnc

johnc Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2011
  20. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.