1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens Hood Vignetting on 7-14 and 14-140

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dwrz, Mar 10, 2011.

1. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    I get some serious lens hood vignetting on the 7-14 and 14-140 when they are at their widest. It is only visible on the top of the frame, and of course with the 14-140 it disappears when I take the hood off. However, it's pretty annoying to see with the 7-14 at 7mm.

I don't recall reading about this in lens reviews, is it normal/expected?

2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I just went back and double-checked a bunch of photos I took at 14mm with my Pany and there is no indication of that problem... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Are you sure it's the hood? If you shoot wide open at wide angle you'll get some vignetting. Stop down a notch or two and it goes away. This is easy to test, just shoot a white wall, or sky at wide open and then stopped down.

I've never seen the hood unless I accidentally knocked it off center. My 14-45 does that a lot as it's not as tight as it used to be, you can bump it off center when zooming.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Not noticed on these lenses myself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    Huh. So this is what's happening: if I open the file in Lightroom, PS, or anything of the sort, I see the image I thought I took on the camera: no lens hood.

On Picasa's Preview, I get the same thing, but a half second later, it "switches" to a different version of the image, which shows the hood. This "version" is wider in general, and also seems more distorted. (BTW, I shoot RAW only).

My guess is that the camera does some work to the fix the distortion and cut out the ends of the frame, but somehow the original is still embedded in the RAW file. Very strange.

For all practical purposes, though, problem "solved"-- anything besides viewing in Picasa preview works fine.