Lens hood suggestions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by curveshooter, Mar 21, 2013.

1. curveshooter

curveshooter Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2012
    North Carolina
    I've got the following lenses:

-Panasonic 14-42 kit zoom lens
    -Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and adapter
    -Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 and adapter

The 14-42 kit lens comes with a hood. I'd like to get hoods for the 50mm and 28mm lenses.

Any suggestions on inexpensive hoods? Hoods that aren't huge are preferable to reduce bulk in my camera bag. Thanks.
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I'd take a look at collapsible rubber hoods. When they're collapsed, they take up virtually no space while still providing a (small) measure of protection to the lens. One thing to be careful about when matching hoods to lenses is vignetting. This will be more of an issue with wide-angle lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Do the Pana or the Oly 14-42's need a hood? Are they prone to flair? (This isn't a rhetorical question, being new to M43 I've no experience with either of these lenses).
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I've never seen a need for a hood with my O14-42. In fact, I'm not aware of any :43: lens that has a reputation for excessive flare. I do use a collapsible rubber hood on my P20, but that is at least as much to provide a small measure of bump protection as it is to combat any issues with stray light.
  5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Anyone buying an Olympus hood has essentially gotten hood-winked.

Unfortunately, I fall into that category.
  6. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Me too:redface:
    Actually to be absolutely truthful I got my son to buy it for my birthday.
  7. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Look on Amazon for JJC hoods, they are made just like the name brand hoods and they fit your lenses just the same. I have gone onto Amazon and ordered hoods, and some were Olympus hoods at a great price as well as some were JJC hood that were also at a great price. You can also find Vello hoods from B&H that are a great price, I have ordered those as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Thank you! Very helpful.
  9. Obfuscation

Obfuscation New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2013
    Portland OR (Milwaukie, but who knows where that i
    Hal Hallmark
    I've also used the JJC hoods, and they are just great. For your canon FD lens, you can get the bayonet style hood that reverses on the lens for easy storage. Don't know if JJC makes one of these, but you should be able to find one used on eBay.
  10. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hoods will help almost all lenses somewhat. I find the rubber ones faster and easier to use than any rigid mount. Do you need them for every shot? Probably not, but they never hurt. Worst thing is not noticing that you needed one after you gotten home and start looking at your photos critically.