Lens Hood Recommendations.

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
Been playing about with my kit and have been surprised just how much difference the hood makes on my 14-45mm Panny.

Anyone recommend hoods for the following and what difference does a petal type make to a solid type.

Panasonic 20mm - 46mm dia
Quarry 28mm f3.5 macro - 55mm dia
Hexanon 28mm f3.5 - 55mm dia
Hexanon 40mm f1.8 - 55mm dia
Hexanon 50mm f1.7 - 55mm dia
Hexanon 135mm f3.2 - 55mm dia

seen lots of cheap 3 way folding ones on the bay that look quite tempting.

Cheers

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Using the 14-45 too, what is that big difference you noticed with each hoods? I'm using the petal one.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
The longer the focal length the deeper the hood you can use. The deeper the hood you can use without experiencing vignetting, the better. A zoom lens is limited to the hood which will work for its widest angle, and thus loses hood effectiveness for the longer focal lengths. A petal shaped hood opens up the corners where vignetting starts, allowing you to go a little deeper before you reach that threshold. This is most eFfective for the wider angles, but relies on a bayonet or similar mount which can keep the hood at the right angle (where the openings are in the corners) and can't easily be built for a screw-in hood that uses filter threads.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Particularly for the P20 I would recommend a collapsible rubber hood of the type [post=224871]seen here[/post]. This allows you to maintain the thin profile of the lens.

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
On the topic of lens hoods, does anyone know if there's any that have a nice secure cap like on the rokinon/samyang fisheye? I love that push/snap cap that goes over the hood (and locks).

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
DeeJayK said:
You could go with something like this (depending on the lens).

Thanks. Maybe that will be a good match for the 40-150mm...I find it gets banged around abit due to the length of the barrel and big exposed front element. Hopefully it will be ok for the local length (description says from 70mm).

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Thanks. Maybe that will be a good match for the 40-150mm...I find it gets banged around abit due to the length of the barrel and big exposed front element. Hopefully it will be ok for the local length (description says from 70mm).

Yeah, I guess at the price it's worth a shot. It's hard to tell what angle of view that "70mm" from the description is referring to, since that focal length is markedly different on 4/3 vs. APS-C vs. "full frame" sensor. I wouldn't be shocked if you noticed a small bit of vignetting at 40mm with that hood. If you're concerned about that, you could also consider a shorter hood.

Gyles

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
@ Ned, as my Hex's are all 55mm threads I could buy a couple of different depths, see you they work with each lens then fill in the gaps.

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah, I guess at the price it's worth a shot. It's hard to tell what angle of view that "70mm" from the description is referring to, since that focal length is markedly different on 4/3 vs. APS-C vs. "full frame" sensor. I wouldn't be shocked if you noticed a small bit of vignetting at 40mm with that hood. If you're concerned about that, you could also consider a shorter hood.

I was assuming they meant 35mm equivalent, but yes it is appropriately vague!

I suppose the flipside of going with the 'normal' hood that would be less likely to vignette is that it is also less likely to block stray light?

I remember seeing in reviews that the 40-150mm wasn't that prone to flaring and the hood wasn't seen as mandatory, but I suppose it can only help.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I was assuming they meant 35mm equivalent, but yes it is appropriately vague!

I think we can safely assume they weren't referring to :43:.:wink:

I suppose the flipside of going with the 'normal' hood that would be less likely to vignette is that it is also less likely to block stray light?

Yeah, that's the trade off. I think I'd probably try the longer hood first.

I remember seeing in reviews that the 40-150mm wasn't that prone to flaring and the hood wasn't seen as mandatory, but I suppose it can only help.

True that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom