Lens Hood on adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by hinting, Aug 13, 2012.

1. hinting

hinting Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2012
    When we use lens hood on adapted lenses on the M43 system, I guess that the hood is not as effective, as we are using a cropped sensor. Does anyone modify their hoods for the half-frame, or use additional buffle inside the sensor?

I guess work done to the hood is more effective than internal buffle for the possibility of internal bounces and lost of contrast.

Is it worth worrying about, and have you done something about it?

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I'm not an optics guy, but your assertion seems wrong. It's like saying the original hoods had less effect on the center of the film, isn't it?

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    What's wrong with that? Of course it did. It's just that there's no way to shade the center more, and it's less prone to flaring anyway.

4. I was using a Canon EF 24-105mm f4L (full-frame) lens on my (APS-C) Canon 50D for a while and I had a 77-58mm step-down ring on the front in addition to the normal hood.

5. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    When dealing with adapted lenses I always think about it this way. The lens doesn't know on which camera it is fitted and as the sensor plane is at the same point then the optics will not change. What you can have on an adapted lens is a deeper hood.

6. hinting

hinting Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2012
    Thats exactly what I througt. They all need a deeper hood for the smaller sensor, as more unused lights are entering the lens but not hitting the sensor directly, causing increased internal bounces.

7. hinting

hinting Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2012
    The original hoods are less effective between the original film size and the 4/3 sensor, outside the centre portion

8. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Sorry I don't think so. The same amount of light enters the lens as if it were on a full frame camera, the lens doesn't know what camera it is on. Think of the sensor as being like a crop you do in Photoshop. The reason you can use a deeper hood is that the smaller sensor won't show the vignetting that you would get on a full frame.

9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I use the smallest diameter hood that does not shade the corners of the frame. does not matter to me where the hood actually came from. I have some adapters that help with different thread diameters.