Lens hood - Oly 9-18mm - reverse mount

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by polarpix, Mar 17, 2014.

1. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

I like to keep my lens hoods mounted backwards on the lens when it is in my camera bag. My question is can this be done with the proper Olympus LH-55B hood. I bought a used 9-18mm and it came with an aftermarket hood that will not properly fit in the reversed position. It works great when mounted for shooting - but will not go on reversed for storage. TIA

Bill

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have the OEM Oly hood and it's just the same - won't mount when reversed. I've no idea why Oly would do this - all the other Oly bayonet-fit hoods are reversible. Another example of inconsistency across Oly's lens range.

3. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

Thanks guys you've saved me some money. Excellent information.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 9-18mm and 12-50mm used to share the same hood (the LH-55B), but there's a new one for the 12-50mm, the LH-55C, which is a petal design and reversible. I wonder whether the 52mm LH-55C (and it's various after market clones) work without vignetting on the 9-18mm?

5. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Interesting, I didn't realize there was a new hood for the 12-50. I have the one that I share between the 9-18 and 12-50. I might get the new one since it reverses. Never understood why you'd make a hood that didn't reverse.

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    The hood is so shallow that the lens cap protrudes forward of the front of the lens hood so the lens is the same length with or without the lens cap (with a filter mounted).
    Bobby

7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
  8. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I read somewhere that the Vello hood will vignette because of it's square design versus the rectangular shape of the OE hood. Can you reconfirm it won't vignette on the 9-18 lens? Thanks.