Lens Hood...is it worth the space in the bag...?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by winnie123, Mar 15, 2012.

1. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    I haven't used mine much & am not sure why I should...do I need it ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    never take mine off !

3. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Why...what does it give you...

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It depends on the lens. Some benefit some not as much. On my adapted lenses (Konica 40 for instance) IMHO has noticeably better contrast with a hood. OTOH on my Konica 24/2.8 it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Keeps rain off the front element. Helps protect the glass from being knocked.
    Shades the lens from light that can lead to flare and/or loss of contrast.
    And perhaps a lot more good reasons.

6. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    It's worth not fumbling around for a cap when changing lens on the street.

In and out the bag and the front element never touches anything.

• Like Like x 1
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yes, but only if I can get one that's reversible.

I didn't care much for lens hoods but after taking a few pics and noticing less contrast I realized I need a hood in certain daytime conditions.

I don't bother with hoods (or filters) at night.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Started off not using hoods, now I always use one....especially in sunny daylight conditions. At night I don't unless I'm somewhere where there is lots of very strong bright lights coming from every direction.

Protection is certainly a factor, but I find the subtle (yet noticeable) improvement in contrast alone is reason enough.

If space is at an absolute premium....try using the one hood for several lenses....if it can work out that way.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    My hoods live on my lens. I have both Olympus made hoods for the 12mm and the 45mm and they make a big difference but I would not fumble around with a hood if it meant loosing a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So, our cameras work by capturing light reflected from a scene, right? If I take a photo of a flower, then I'm recording the light that has bounced from that flower back through my lens, and focused onto the sensor. Now, if there is a light source that is just shining light (such as stadium lights, a street lamp, the sun, etc) then it will degrade the quality of the image. This stray light interferes with the light you're trying to capture from a scene, causing flare, reduction in contrast, ghosting, etc. It's like when you shade your eyes from the sun with your hand. I've seen enough degradation in my images that I shoot with a lens hood as much as possible, and I also try to be aware of any of these stray light sources (especially the sun, if possible try to always shoot with the sun at your back, or at least obliquely to the side).

Lens hood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Lens hoods
    Lens Hoods - Do I Really Need To Use One?

• Like Like x 4
  11. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Hoods are essential unless space is at a premium. The reasons are well outlined in previous posts.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A better question would be... "Lens Hood...is it worth taking it off...?"

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    I've never really bothered using a lens hood before, but took one with me today when I went out and I'm glad I did. It was a bright sunny day for a change and on my 45-200mm the hood was really beneficial to make sure I didn't get any flare in my photos.
    Just need to find out if its worth getting one for the 14-42 and if so, where I can get one from.

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Which 14-42mm?

If it's the retractable m.Zuiko lens, then if it's the original ED version you have a 40.5mm filter thread which will take a wide range of rangefinder hoods. If it's the MSC version then you have a 37mm filter thread which is a little harder to fit but you do also have the option of a bayonet hood, direct from Olympus or from eBay.

For the Lumix lens, there's the original Lumix 14-42mm, and then there's the collapsible pancake (Lumix X 14-42mm).. I'm not sure what all your options for hoods are on those lenses, but I do know there's a bayonet hood available for original (non-X) lens.

16. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Its the original Panny one, Ned.
    I wasn't sure what was available for it, but if there's definitely a bayonet one around, I'll have a search for it.
    I didn't really realise until today just how useful they are. I had to discard a few images that would have otherwise been great because of flare.

17. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I like compact lenses, but I will find a way to use a hood on any lens that I use, especially outside . Hoods do take up space but the benefits are too great to ignore.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    I'm a terrible photographer but I never use lens hoods. In bright daylight I use a Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter that I cannot adjust with the hood on. So no.

19. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    For my 14-42mm, I never really required a hood. Even on bright sunny days. Reflections on the lens from various sources of light reflections never bothered. Minimal glare...

Now, on my 40-150mm, it was a different story.

Overall, even if you may not need it, it's good to have. When it's at that moment you think you don't need it... You look in the viewfinder or on that LCD screen... then you wished you had a hood.

Of course, you can probably use your other hand to act as a partial hood :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  20. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    • Like Like x 1