Lens hood for pancake?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sinpig, Sep 9, 2010.

1. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Ok it may seem counter-productive, but I think I need a hood for my pancake 20mm. Has anyone have any luck finding one? Where? How much was it?
    Thanks.

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Here are a couple blog posts regarding this.

Micro 4/3rds Photography: Third party hood for the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake
    Micro 4/3rds Photography: "Home made" hood for the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake

I've actually gone the second route just to try out in an effort to keep the profile as small as possible. I also find the standard side-push lens cap can quite easily get bumped off in a bag, so I had wanted to switch to a pinch cap as well. All told, a 46-37mm step down ring and a 37mm pinch lens cap cost me maybe $7.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
  4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    the metal hood from the Contax 45/2 fits the Panny 20mm f1.7 - if you ever see one going on EBay

5. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Got a great metal lens hood for my 20mm from caling_photo on eBay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Liked it so much I ordered one for my 90/4 Minolta M-mount Rokkor along with a screen protector and a set of ND filters...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Will
    Very nice

7. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
  8. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Without the bayonet I am always concerned about proper alignment for rectangular lens hoods.

The vented one does look sweet. Get the one with Summicron on it and say it is from your other camera ... ;) (I wish)

@everythingsablur - the step down ring approach sounds like an interesting idea - those I have lots of. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

9. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I have 're-cycled' the screw in lens hood of of a 1980s Sony Handicam VCR (CCD-F250e). It is about 12mm deep, with parallel sides and is made of hard rubber + lens cap.

I don't know if it really does much as it is so shallow, but it doesn't make it worse.

[​IMG]

10. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I really like that hood! Pretty cool looking!
    One question though, I notice the lens expands/contracts a little bit (maybe 3mm) when I turn the camera on/off; does the hood interferes with the motor of the lens? and can you place the cap with the hood on?
    thanks

11. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Excellent point - if the circumference of the base of the hood is no bigger than a standard filter it should be OK. If it is bigger there could be a problem that could affect the motor.

If it is threaded inside the hood as well it should take a cap. I can't tell from the picture.

jmacpix can tell us for sure.

12. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
  13. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Hi Guys

The hood fits perfectly level with the lens and does not interfere with the focus motor. As for the lens cap, the front leading edge of the hood is threaded but not the inner edge against the lens. A lens cap in a larger diameter than the original lens cap will fit on the front of the hood but I don't use one.

Cheers
    Jeff