Lens hood for Oly OM 50/1.8 --- 39mm or 49mm?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by panyuser, Mar 20, 2012.

1. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    The lens cap for my OM 50/1.8 says "39mm" in it.

I assumed this is the filter size, and also the size for the lens hood, but I have since read that 49mm is the correct size for the hood?

I just want the cheapest hard or rubber hood I can find it for (only paid £20 for the lens itself!). Would this do the job:

Heliopan LONG Metal Lens Hood 49mm : Teamwork Digital Ltd, Suppliers of Professional Digital and Large Format Photographic Equipment

If so, does anyone know of anything cheaper? Paying the same for a lens hood as for the lens itself feels just wrong!

2. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Filter/Hood/Cap size is 49mm.
    This is true for 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 24/2.8, 135/3.5 and some others. All my caps for those lenses have 49mm written inside them [all original Olympus caps].

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't know why the cap would say 39mm. Both the hood, filter, and cap size for the Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 is definitely 49mm. Is this a black Olympus cap with raised silver-painted lettering?

4. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    Yes, the standard one I see in all the pictures online of OM lenses.

I don't have the lens with me right now, but perhaps I am mistaken. I'll check in a few days.

Can someone tell me if I should get a screw in type hood? And if so, what happens if I want to use a filter too? Filter on lens, then hood screwed into filter?

Sorry for the basic question!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.