1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens hood for Oly OM 50/1.8 --- 39mm or 49mm?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by panyuser, Mar 20, 2012.

1. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    The lens cap for my OM 50/1.8 says "39mm" in it.

I assumed this is the filter size, and also the size for the lens hood, but I have since read that 49mm is the correct size for the hood?

I just want the cheapest hard or rubber hood I can find it for (only paid £20 for the lens itself!). Would this do the job:

Heliopan LONG Metal Lens Hood 49mm : Teamwork Digital Ltd, Suppliers of Professional Digital and Large Format Photographic Equipment

If so, does anyone know of anything cheaper? Paying the same for a lens hood as for the lens itself feels just wrong!

2. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Filter/Hood/Cap size is 49mm.
    This is true for 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 24/2.8, 135/3.5 and some others. All my caps for those lenses have 49mm written inside them [all original Olympus caps].

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't know why the cap would say 39mm. Both the hood, filter, and cap size for the Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 is definitely 49mm. Is this a black Olympus cap with raised silver-painted lettering?

4. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    Yes, the standard one I see in all the pictures online of OM lenses.

I don't have the lens with me right now, but perhaps I am mistaken. I'll check in a few days.

Can someone tell me if I should get a screw in type hood? And if so, what happens if I want to use a filter too? Filter on lens, then hood screwed into filter?

Sorry for the basic question!