Lens hood for oly 9-18mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by noelh, Feb 23, 2011.

1. So far the only lens hood I can find is one sold by Olympus. ~$24. B&H has a "pearstone?" branded hood as one their items listed under the accessory tab for this lens. Less $s. Any other options of functional hoods? ~$600 lens and no supplied hood???

2. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I ended up buying the orignial one but what a ripoff, to get it to Australia it cost me $48 to import it... Unfortunately to my understanding Olympus Australia don't even distribute the hood here...

I suppose a cheap screwn in wide angle hood from ebay would work..

3. I think I'd be up for a similar cost for a hood on my 4/3 Oly 9-18mm. Thankfully it copes well without one.

4. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Cost me £25 I think, does look sweet though

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Oddly enough, I have a LNIB lens hood for my 9-18mm (4/3) that I sold. I didn't realize it at the time, but I still had the box, manuals, and hood. Shoot me a PM if you are interested, I would ship from Canada.

6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    All lenses over $200 should come with lens hoods. It's a shame they don't.

7. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    I agree I have just ordered this lens (should be arriving tomorrow :thumbup:) and a third party lens hood of ebay for £9.99 said it had been dispatched so see how long it takes to come, and will post my thoughts when I get it and try it on the lens :smile:

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Agreed!! I really like the Oly hood for the 9-18. Looks better than round petal shaped hoods. The 9-18 one reminds me of the Leica hoods.

9. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    Well now got the lens hood today and looks nice on the l can't tell how effective it is cloudly and misty. Looks just like the poper oly one will add a couple of pics later if I get chance. :smile:

10. Ended up ordering the OME hood. My cheap route non OME petal hood caused some vignetting at 9 -~11mm. At least caught a "sale" price at ~$24usd. Shouldn't whine to much about the cost relative to the Fuji X100 hood.

11. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I just got a 3rd party one from an e-bay seller called "storetwo" for $15, all the way from Hong Kong. It looks just like the Oly original - I'll bet they come off the same injection moulding line in China, and some go to Oly and some go elsewhere. It is marked "JJC Lens Hood Replaces LH-55B". It fits perfectly, looks good, and I'm sure it will function as expected. If I remember to take it with me to work tomorrow I'll snap a picture of it mounted on the ep2/9-18.

Edit: ... and it fits over a 52mm Hoya S-HMC UV no problem too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Just order the same, wait now till arrival in Belgium.

13. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    The JJC hood looks like this mounted:

Attached Files:

14. Looks the same as the OME hood. Question, why are most lens hoods round? The square shaped "Leitz" style hoods seem to make more sense for wide to normal focal length lens.

15. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Good question, and I don't know the answer. I do know why most OEM hoods are overpriced - it's just plain gouging.

16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    They are cheaper to make, especially in aluminum. In plastic, the mold is cheaper to make.

17. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Arrival yesterday,
    Not bad, Honkong - Belgium in 6 days.
    Looks great on the lens.

Ordered now a hood for my 20 mm also.

grtz,
    Jean