Lens Hood for M.Zuiko 12-50mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brent D. Wilson, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Brent D. Wilson

Brent D. Wilson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    I was disappointed that the prescribed lens hood for the M.Zuiko 12-50mm lens is the LH-55B, the same lens hood as for the M.Zuiko 9-18mm. I assumed that it would not provide much light blockage for the 50mm telephoto end of the zoom lens. The challenge of course is to find a single lens hood that works for both the 12mm and the 50mm focal lengths.

In my search, I tried the Zeikos 52mm "tulip" style screw-in lens hood (EBay). I haven't conducted any systematic tests on the light blockage, but there is no vignetting at the 12mm wide angle end.

Does anyone have any other lens hood suggestions?

2. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
  3. Brent D. Wilson

Brent D. Wilson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    My concern is that the LH-55B is so "shallow" that it won't provide much light blockage, especially at the telephoto end. I know that it won't vignette, but what is your experience with light blockage?

4. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    I have not shot too many pictures with the 12-50 .. I mostly use my primes .. but the images I have have been pretty good and I would like to say that the light blockage is decent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I have to agree with you, I have both lenses and have shot quite a few images with each lens as well. I have a hood for each and I do not have any problems with light leaking in.

6. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I would rather it not vignette than it not block light at the 50mm. But if you want, you can always get the generic "screw on" hoods that will match with the 52mm thread on the lens. Just be sure to use it only when in the telephoto range.

On another note, I do have an extra LH-55B knock off by JJC available if you are interested. Just PM me.

7. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I do not have any problems with vignetting with the hoods on either of those two lenses. I just do not have any problems with them.

8. Haris

Haris Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2011
    No problems here

With the original lens hood. Used it under variable lightning conditions without any issues.