1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens Hood 75mm Olympus

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RamblinR, Jun 6, 2013.

1. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Looking to purchase a lens hood for this lens.

Was looking at a couple of black metal screw in hoods but there seems to be to lengths in them. One approximately 4cm the other 2cm.

Can someone with either the JJC or original Olympus hood please advise how much the hood extends in front of the lens.

Much appreciated.

Maria

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I have the JJC knock off hood, it's 48mm or so long, from front to end. Although when on the lens, it really extends about 36mm.

However I think I can answer your other question to; I use a black metal screw in hood actually(58mm filter), it's about 20mm in length (not counting the threaded part going into the lens).

3. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    I was thinking that 2cm was not long enough for this lens and that the 4cm would be better. (I'm referring to the amount that protrudes past the front of the lens).

Sounds like the 4cm is a better match for this lens.

Thoughts?

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Why not just get the JJC hood that clamps on the lens?

5. mister_roboto

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I find the 2cm hood works in most situations, unless the sun is low on the horizon.

The main reason why I use the black screw in hood over the clamp hood is a lot of the times I'm storing the lens with hood on in my bag, so I put a cap on the hood, but the clamp hood is a little too long and a bit annoying in my bag, the screw-in one fits perfectly though. Also I haven't had many opportunities to shoot at dusk/dawn where the clamp hood would be more helpful :wink:

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yeah the hood is indeed long... I can't put my lens cap on the lens in fact. So I just put a nice filter on the lens and never put the lens cap on anymore:eek:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    Ebay has a screw in which is shorter which also has a lens cap to go on the end of the hood. Might look into that once again.

Thanks everyone.

8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    What size cap fits the hood? I too store all of my lenses with the hood attached.

9. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    A cheap screw in with Oly 62mm cap..
    8977412657_0f43bd6839_c.

10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Is this the JJC knock off hood or another brand? Thanks!

11. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  12. mister_roboto

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    That 58mm one in the Ebay link for the 58mm standard hood is the one I use. The cap is a 62mm.

Strangely I also have the silver 58mm screw in hood as well, a 62mm also fits it.

For the Clamp hood, a 67mm cap fits it.

13. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I bought a Vello for my 12mm lens and could not be happier with my purchase.

14. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've been looking for a hood plus cap that I can use on the Olympus 17mm f1.8 46mm, I don't want to pay $75 dollars (US) and the hood won't even take a lens cap! I like to keep all of my lenses with a hood + cap always mounted for storage or in a pocket.:2thumbs:

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I decide to do my share in helping Olympus to get out of "the red" & thus I purchased an Olympus hood for mine....:redface:

16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I think I'm helping Olympus with my pre-order of the E-P5 + 17mm + VF-4 should help them out a lot!:biggrin:
    Makes me happy too!

17. mister_roboto

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    This is the hood I use for my silver 17mm f1.8. The cap is a 55mm size.

18. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
  19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I agree 100%! That's the main reason I like the screw on hoods to the bayonet hoods, you just turn the hood to get your polarizer set instead of having to remove the bayonet hood, adjust your polarizer, replace your hood being careful not to turn the polarizer. It comes down to 1 simple step versus 3 steps that might have to repeated. At the cost of Olympus hoods they should include a cap that fits them for a couple of dollars/euros more!

Thanks again to all!