1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens Holder (for want of a better word)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, Jan 18, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Cute ... something like a cheapo extension tube in your mount could be munged up ... drill a few holes, screw in eyelets ... nice one!

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It'd be harder to do that and have the double-ended mount (like two lens caps glued together), but it certainly could be done for one lens end alone.

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    indeed ... I've got a couple of spare extension tubes for OM at home ... might try to "weld" them together ... wouldn't want to trust lens caps. I was thinking the middle size and smaller size would work well.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If you knew someone with a lathe, they might be able to thread an aluminium tube that will take two ends and thus create one that's similar.

6. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Just pick up a refurb gf1 or something ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Clever, would work well for 2 larger zooms (one on camera and one hanging) or a smaller 3 prime (one on camera, 2 hanging) set up.

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    That's my camera :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I used an E-1 for same a while ago, but ended up using the E-1 to take shots. Also, it can only hold one lens at a time. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think I'll keep using my bag instead! :wink: :tongue:

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  12. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    It's a great camera, and I was actually thinking of GF2 when I wrote it - I just got a great deal on that when I bought it, and it was what got my on an increasingly expensive journey into the m43 universe. I think I would have preferred the GF1 over the GF2 actually.

• Like Like x 1
  13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love it when people think out of the box... great idea.

However, I think the ability to simply drop the lens into pouch/lens case is faster and easier.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've thought of something similar in the past as a temporary holder when changing lenses. The idea would be not to use it for carrying the lens permanently, but just somewhere to clip the lens you're taking off while you put the new one on. I always find I run out of hands in the field and am permanently stressed about dropping something during the change.

15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I bought a G1 when they were released, then in 2011 (some years later) swapped it for a GH1 as the G2 and other cameras didn't seem a significant step up (and the GH1 was cheap).

Part of my logic was that I could still use the same batteries I had. I followed this logic on when a GF1 became available (I can take 3 batteries and will work in both cameras) and only need one charger.

I did buy a used GF2 with good intentions, but the camera was bent so I returned it. I still find nothing compelling to upgrade my m43 system as when processing RAW its all quite equal and certainly good enough for me ...
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/05/generations-gh1-vs-e-m5.html

overview
    P1100564.

EM-5 looks better on JPGs
    omd-gh1-cameraJPGs.

but processing RAW brings them back together
    omd-gh1-processed.

I don't see anything compelling between them and so I keep my money for other things (like travelling to England to visit my mate where I happened to do this comparison...)

• Like Like x 1
  16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Where this lens holder will work well is if you just want to say carry one body and a couple of lenses. Instead of taking a bag or seeing if things will fit in a pocket you just sling the lens over your shoulder. There's been many a time, for me, when something like this would have been very handy. For example, my 90-250mm has strap loops, but none of my other lens have that provision, being able to sling the 35-100mm over my shoulder would be very handy at times and maybe even have the EC-14 attached to the other end.

17. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Ray ...
    you mean you don't wait till you get to a Toshiba Clean Room to change lenses ::SHOCK::

think of the dust ... think of the risks ... OMG

OMG

You're treating it like a camera ... some sort of tool ... not your beloved pampered pet ...

< endSarcasm/ >

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    ^Unfortunately, that appears to be the case. :(

19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    imagine what that will do to its resale value ...

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The lenses are getting close to 10 years old, well used, though still working OK. Who would want such old, outdated and heavy lenses anymore?