1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens help for upcoming trip to Israel

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jeffbet, Jan 29, 2016.

1. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    Can't decide what is best to bring along. Want to travel light as possible. Won't be bringing a tripod.

I will be bringing two bodies: E-M10I and E-M10II

I already own the following lenses:
    17mm f1.8 Oly
    25mm f.17 Pany
    14-42mm f5.6 Pany
    40-150mm f5.6 Oly

Option 1 (cheapest):
    Take what I own, maybe leaving the 25mm home.
    17mm for street and low light
    14-42 for walk around
    40-150 for greater reach

Option 2 (some expense):
    Take option 1 lenses and purchase ultra-wide Oly 9-18mm

Option 3 (most expensive)
    17mm for street
    Purchase Oly 14-150mm to carry one less lens
    Purchase Oly 9-18mm

Any thoughts on these combinations of lenses? Any other lens that you would recommend instead or in addition to what I'm thinking?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I barely use my 40-150mm (either one) in urban areas, even when I do bring it.

I do use the 9mm BCE FishEye a bit more, it or the 7.5mm would be cheaper and maybe smaller than the 9-18mm.
    However, if you like architecture you may prefer rectilinear, and 14mm isn't very wide.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    Barry,

Thanks for the reply. I totally forgot that I own the 9mm BCL.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Unfortunately that happens to me frequently, even though it resides in the side pocket of my little MM10 bag that's usually with me.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think you have the right idea with Option 1. Both 17 and 25mm may be too much unless you really like the 25mm results and focal length. I find 17mm to be best for walk around use.
    I'd take the 40-150mm , maybe you will want to take some photos of something out in the sea, like boats or surfers or something like that. Only you know if you like taking pictures like that.
    How did you end up with the Panasonic 14-42? Is it the more compact recent one? if not, I would consider getting the more compact Olympus or Panasonic version II, or the Panasonic 12-32, which would also give you more wide angle .
    if you want some wide angle on the cheap, I would consider the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    If I went back again, which I hope I do, I would take the O17 & O45mm.

7. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    I ended up with the Pany 14-42II as I like it's sharpness and got irritated with the Oly kit 14-42mm having to unlock it each time I wanted to use it. A small issue, but one that bugged me.

8. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    Just those two primes? Definitely would simplify life on the road. What do you like about the 45mm? I've never shot with it, but hear good things about it.

9. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    From my experiences at the other end of the Mediterranean (Mallorca and Corsica) I'm not sure how much you would use the 40-150, unless you are e.g. specifically wild birding.

I took the P25/1.4 both times, and the Oly 12-40 to Corsica. Also the BCL 9, but I never really used it because of the GX7 panorama function.

When it came to more reach the Sigma 60 was the one lens I own I regretted not taking and will take next time, and that would be my cheapest additional expenditure recommendation to what you already have.

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The 45 gives you a little reach and is a good portrait lens. Truth be told, I would take a couple extra lenses as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    Sigma 60 looks interesting. Not been on my radar. Thanks for the info, I will check into it.

12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Every time I've traveled, I ended up using the "kit" zoom for most of the shots. Now that means the 12-40 f2.8 Pro, but I also used the 9-18, and the 17 f1.8 occasionally. Barely used the 40-150 R. Still, I bring the latter along because no matter how good the 12-40 is, cropping it to try to get a tighter view of a distant object has never been satisfactory. The 17 would be good for street shooting at night or interiors. You're covering a fair range with Option 1 and with the 9mm BCL, you've got some wide coverage. You could get by with that. Unless, you're looking for an excuse to buy a new lens? :)

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    option 1 is good. Option 2 is good if you want to go ultrawide.

14. Gonewest

Gonewest Mu-43 Rookie

May 3, 2013
    Option 1 would suit me. Keeping things light and simple always works.

15. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Not sure you would like the Oly 9-18 then, or the Pan 12-32 for that matter, as both need to be manually extended before use.

16. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I've been to Israel twice. Regardless of religious affiliation, or belief, there are places you will want to go in the old city of Jerusalem that are dimly lit even in the middle of the day. Your primes weigh very little, bring them both. I would also bring both of zooms. Israel is not just urban, and even if it was a long lens is good for picking out details which can often make stronger images than wide angle, everything and the kitchen sink shots.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeffbet

jeffbet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    In your experience, any merit to picking up the Oly 45mm?

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The 45mm is going to be sharper and better in low light than your two zooms. The 17, 25 & 45 are a nice trinity. Couple that with your two existing zooms and you have everything covered. You don't have to carry all your lenses with you everyday, just pick and choose based on the day's activities.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like Like x 1
  19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I've been to Israel and the Occupied Territories a couple of times too. As a photographic destinations it doesn't require anything special in equipment. My kit for another trip would be my 9-18 and my 14-140. I might not bother to take my 100-300. I don't see the purpose of a 17 for street photography unless you are maybe shooting at night. I would also have my monopod, which really increases the effectiveness of the 9-18 when shooting indoors, in churches, etc.

The general problem with primes and tourist photography IMO is that you rarely have time to change lenses for a shot. Your group is moving, you're in a vehicle, the opportunity (like a bird or something) is brief, wind is blowing sand around, ... There are many reasons. The idea of "zooming with your feet" is more an engaging fable than it is a practical tactic. Try "zooming with your feet" past an IDF checkpoint in Hebron if you don't believe this. Even in safety at Qumran, you will be held well away from the cave entrances where the dead sea scrolls were found. So ... zooms are the tourist's friend.

Re locking the 9-18, don't lock it if it bugs you to unlock it. :)

Carrying two bodies is perfect. One zoom on each.

Speaking of Hebron, try to get there and try to get to Bethlehem, the Deheisha refugee camp, and other places around the Occupied Territories as well. Talk to the locals. In the US we get a very distorted and propagandized image of Israel. You need to see what is happening there for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I would only take the 45mm if you plan to take portraits of people you're travelling with/visiting, or you like that focal length for street scenes.

• Agree Agree x 1