1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens for Vegas

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Anthony, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Anthony

Anthony New to Mu-43

Jun 15, 2012
    new jersey
    anthony
    Hi, I'm going to Las Vegas in two weeks. Going to do the typical sightseeing, Grand Canyon, Hoover dam, red rock, city of vegas etc... I am typically not a wide-angle shooter, but I'm thinking of taking one with me. Do you think the 7-14mm or the 9-18mm would work better or be more practical. I'll be using it with the EP-3. I don't plan on buying the lens, I figured I can just rent one for what I want to use it for.

your thoughts???

Anthony

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I have both lenses. My personal opinion is that the 7-14mm is the better lens for everything except:

1) size
    2) weight
    3) filter use

In every other respect I prefer the 7-14mm: IQ, UWA; that extra 2mm is *huge* at the wide end, build quality, fixed aperture, internal zooming. The 18mm is a slightly longer focal length so if you're planning to use it for general walkaround as opposed to primarily as a wide angle, then that may be useful to you.

The size & weight is why I got the 9-18 despite preferring the 7-14. With it being half the size (collapsed) and weight, I can toss it in the bottom of my camera bag or in a small lens carrier 'just in case' versus the 7-14 where I only carry it if I'm specifically expecting to want to use the UWA.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    If you're seriously considering purchasing one of these in the future then, yes, rent that one and try it out. If it's just to get good photos - the kit lens is really pretty good at 14mm. Depends on how important the photos are to you and whether you feel the higher end lens will make that much of a difference. :cool:

4. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I'll probably go with the 9-18 just because of the weight and because it's a holiday. I like to keep it light for holidays.

Get a low light lens too, like the 20mm f/1.7, there are lot of stuff to see at night in Vegas at night.

5. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anthony,

I've done Vegas (and surrounding area) MANY times. If I could take just one lens out there, it would most likely be the awesome new Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8. It's got a relatively wide & usable focal length range, a constant fairly fast maximum aperture, it's weather "proof" (to keep out dust and the rare rain shower) and most important is that it has fantastic image quality.

While you're out there, be sure to visit the Valley Of Fire and of course Death Valley.

Just my two cents!

6. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    VEGAS!!!!!!! lolz i usually carry my e-pm1 w/ panny 14mm w/ dwc-gwc1 works great as a wide angle lens... plus the oly 45 f1.8 for indoor food

p.s 14mm=28mm w/ dwc-gwc1 11mm=25mm

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Good call on going WA; Vegas lends itself to the big field of view. In fact, I think you could have a LOT of fun with a fisheye there, too. Maybe the $300 Rokinon?

I agree with you that renting is a good way to try one out, though I'd lean toward the P7-14 myself.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Splash-proof one...:tongue:

9. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    The Oly 12mm although it is a bit expensive. During the day you can just use zone focus and snap away and at f2 it does ok in low light. Its also fairly compact.

10. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I second the suggestion for a low light lens for Vegas. Theres lots to shoot indoors and at night. Instead of renting a lens for a recent Vegas trip, I rented a tripod and a gigapan device from BandC Camera in Vegas for about $60. Here's the result:

<iframe src="http://gigapan.com/gigapans/103907/options/nosnapshots/iframe/2.0/flash.html" frameborder="0" height="400" scrolling="no" width="100%"></iframe>

This was my first attempt with the device, and I've since learned that stopping the lens down a bit more could have avoided the vignetting that gives the dark grid in the sky and water. The best thing about this is you can make your image as wide as you want and you can zoom way into it. There are 640 individual images that make up this one panorama.

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    OMG...I can't believe what's going on in room 1542 at the Bellagio? :eek: How about a NSFW warning! :wink:

That's quite a panorama. Seems like $60 well spent.

12. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I'm going in a month myself for my gf's sisters wedding. I'm bringing the 7-14 and 12-35 to work with most of the time. Seems like when I was there before I would have wanted something at least with a 12mm FOV. I'll bring the 25/45 along too for people and low light shots, but plan on working with the first two almost the entire time.

13. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    I would just bring the p14 and keep it on the camera all day in my pocket. And bring 1 other lens for low light situations p25, p20, oly 45 etc your choice. If you have 1 of those 3 from the second group already just take it and forget renting another. If u have none the 25 happens to be my favorite but it's not fitting in your pocket if you keep it on the body.

14. Anthony

Anthony New to Mu-43

Jun 15, 2012
    new jersey
    anthony
    What's in my bag

Here's what's in my bag, I should have mentioned this. I will not take it all but I will take some.
    Bodies ep3 -epm1
    Primes 12, 14, 17, 20, 25, and the oly45
    Zooms 12-50, 14-42r, and the 45-200

I probably will only take the ep3, 12-50 either the 20 or the 25 for low light and will rent a wa lens for the trip.

Thoughts?

15. Anthony

Anthony New to Mu-43

Jun 15, 2012
    new jersey
    anthony
    The 25 is my favorite too.

16. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    After shooting a lot of photos in and around Vegas, my lens recommendations are:

Wide aperture for low light - p20, p25, oly12, p12-35
    Wide angle for daylight, landscape outside the city - p7-14, oly9-18, 7.5 fisheye
    That's it...

There are a lot of interesting things to photograph indoors and at night, so low-light capabilities are a must. Focal length is a tougher call for low light, as one could definitely make use of a fast zoom that covers wide angle and normal focal lengths. The scale of everything is so large that wide angle is a great way to capture the feel of Vegas and the surrounding areas (unless you like to mess with stitched pano's). I carried an oly40-150 for my trip and did not use it a single time, although trying to photograph far-away details or people inconspicuously on the street might necessitate a telephoto... Since I didn't own any real UWA lenses at the time, I used a wide-angle converter on my kit 14-42 (brings it to ~11mm), but it still left me wanting a much wider FOV (and better image quality...).

17. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I have to admit, when not messing with stitched images I almost never use any lens in Vegas at more than 45mm. If I could have only one lens there it would either be the 20 or the 25. I think I lean slightly to the 20, which makes a more portable, less professional looking kit.