Lens for Oktoberfest?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ellsass, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I'll be attending Oktoberfest and I'm wondering whether to bring my P20/1.7 or P14/2.5 with my GF5.

It needs to be small (pocketable, if possible) and it should be wide enough to take in the large tents from the outside as well as snap some photos of my wife and I from close range (i.e. taken by a person sitting across a table from us).

The 14mm is the smallest and widest, but I'm afraid it might not be fast enough to get clear shots inside the tents with indoor lighting (example). But the 20mm may be too narrow for close range shots.

2. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    i would go with the 20mm
  3. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
  4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    The one that is most weatherproof! ;-) or at least protected with a filter. I lost count of how many stein-hoists I nearly got myself into and just about ended up wearing the beer. ;-)

I'd take the 14, ride high ISO and shoot RAW... Try not to get too bogged down with pixel-peeping noise.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    I think the 20mm would be a good lens to take. I went last year and took a 12mm and a 25mm shot with both. For example:
    the 12mm
    [​IMG]P9300338 by Rick 191, on Flickr

and the 25mm
    [​IMG]P9300219 by Rick 191, on Flickr

I bet you didn't know that it was a very religious festival :wink:
    I'd also take a LARGE appetite and have fun!!
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Ellsass: How about bringing both lenses? The 20/1.7 might come in handy especially in the evening hours when it is getting darker. The 14 will obviously give you a broader field of view wich might be nice especially in the tents.

I guess you are already set up for your trip to Munich (Hotel, etc.). Just a word of advise: Make sure to get up early on the day you plan to visit the Oktoberfest (and want to go into a beer tent). Especially on the weekends the tents close as early as 9-10am (not a typo!) and you do not have a chance to get in anymore without a reservation. During the week it is a bit more relaxed and there is often a chance to sneak into one. It starts to fill up around 4-5pm (typical office closing hours), though.

Enjoy your visit!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    20mm definitely
  8. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm a little surprised at the overwhelming suggestions for 20mm — I'll have to take some test shots at home around a small table and see if it's wide enough. For shots of the tents I can always just step back if need be.

I want to stick with one. Lederhosen will probably have small pockets and I want to avoid carrying a bag. It will be too crowded with too much beer sloshing around for me to expose the sensor and juggle two lenses. And I'd rather concentrate on having fun :)

Thanks for the ’fest tips. I've got it all researched and planned out. We're going the first Monday and Tuesday which are traditionally the least busy days and we'll start around midday when there are free seats in most tents.
  9. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I don't have the 14,but i'd suggest 20 for the daytime and 14 for the night time (inside of tent). I have far too many missed shots on the 20 because of slow AF, especially at night. Bump up iso on the gf5 and 14. Noisy photo is better than blurry photo, and you can always remove the noise during pp. Have fun

sent from my Xperia Z
  10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I faced a similar dilemma a few years ago. Ended up taking the 14mm. Worked out beautifully. You can see some of my photos below. If you only want photos of people, 20mm may be best, but if you want the colorful surroundings, 14mm is great. It's so small, I would seriously consider taking both.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I saw your photos in another thread — good to hear the 14mm is capable of that.

Glad to hear from someone who's been there. Wouldn't you except juggling two lenses to be a hassle?
  12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Well, I didn't take a bag or anything else with me. Just the small GX1 with 14mm on plain leather neck band, bandolier style across the body. I think I didn't even take the viewfinder, one less thing to break off and lose. That's another reason I took 14mm. It doesn't have any moving parts outside, so I feel that it can take a bump safer than 20mm which has that whole moving mechanism in the front that I feel can be damaged more easily by bumping it into something. Probably worrying too much though.
    I don't worry much about lens changes though, then again I am used to changing lenses in dark loud standing room only rock concerts with people pushing and shoving and yes, spilling beer :) , so anything else is a walk in the park to me.