1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[EXPIRED] Lens for my newly acquired GF1, looking to spend <$100

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by Ingeribe, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    Hello everyone, I'm looking for a nice lens for my newly acquired Panasonic GF1. I really want the 20mm 1.7 but it's out of my price range so I'm looking for a lens with image stabilization that will cost no more than $100 including shipping. But if anyone out there is feeling very generous and wants to give me an amazing deal on a 20mm 1.7 let me know. Thanks

2. mattchew008

mattchew008 New to Mu-43

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

May 20, 2011
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

Aug 9, 2010
    For $100 native lenses are going to be tough to come by (except maybe some first generation kit lenses) Stabilized? Second generation 14-42 Panasonic kit lens maybe?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Have you tried manual focus? With manual focus you can buy a legacy lens which is MUCH faster than your 14-42mm/3.5-5.6, and even faster than the 20mm/1.7. With a faster lens, you won't need Image Stabilization.

Lens and adapter both could run you well under $100.

5. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    The camera is on its way here as we speak. And it's my first interchangeable lense camera so I haven't really gotten a chance to play around with a manual focus lens. But I'm going to see if there are any camera shops around me so I can see what they have.

6. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Check Pawn shops too .. you can always find some good lenses there.

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    For $100, your only real choice is one of the 14-42mm kit lenses. You claim you need image stabilization, but new photographers always do, because they don't know any better. Don't listen to the salesman at your local Best Buy; there are other much more important features that will affect your image quality. Image stabilization is a nice bonus, but there are other much more important considerations, so it shouldn't be the main selling point of a lens. For one, choose respectable optical performance. If you don't mind getting an adapted lens, as Ned says, find yourself a Minolta Rokkor, Konica Hexanon, or Canon FD lens. A 24mm f/2.8 is just about right on the money when it comes to a normal lens. Look here in the buy/sell forum.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    My mom has a few film cameras laying around, one's a Pentax and I'm not sure what the other is. If I wanted to try and use the lenses from those what kind of adapter would I need?

9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Pentax have used two different mount over the years, M42 screw and K bayonet. Does the lens on your mom's camera unscrew or twist off with a bayonet fitting?

10. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    Not sure I hvent really messed with it. I can put a picture up of it when I get home. Also would this be a good deal?
    1) EX++ Konica 40mm f/1.8 with M4/3 adapter - $79
    It's for sale here in the forum

11. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    That would be a good one to play with until you acquire more lenses. :smile:

it also gives you the Konica AR-mount to M4/3 adapter, in case you happen to find deals on other Konica Hexanon lenses.

The 40mm would be a short telephoto on your GF1, and you'll probably want to eventually find a legacy lens with a "normal" FOV. (24mm or 28mm would be about right). Or you can save up to buy a native 20mm or 17mm lens.

And as someone else already mentioned, an inexpensive native kit lens (14-42mm) in the $100+ range is probable if you looked hard enough.

--Warren

12. dixeyk

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

Aug 9, 2010
    It's a nice lens, comes with an adapter and is also small and compact so it fit well on a smaller body like the GF1. It' also pretty sellable should you decide its not for you. People always seem to be looking for those Konica 40s. The biggest issue is getting comfortable focusing using the LCD. Fortunately, the LCD on the GF1 is quite good and it should relatively easy.

Also, the Konica 40 is VERY VERY sharp. Having the adapter also opens you up to using other Konica lenses should you find you like using legacy glass with the GF1.

13. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    The Benefit of getting the camera now is that I have a few months to play with it before I leave, so I can see if I really need a lens with the image stabilization. I'm probably going to pick up a pentax m4/3 adapter, and then another lens. I'm just not sure if it is going to be a manual focus or a kit lens.

Also, I looked up some older Pentax models and it looks like she has the Pentax K1000 which has the bayonet mount. Looks like I'll pick up an adapter for that then possibly pick up another lens to play around with.

14. bluebubbleboy

bluebubbleboy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Aug 12, 2011
    Colorado
    If I remember right from a previous post you had is that you are going on a safari and wanted the camera for that. If that's the case, I'm not sure a manual focus lens with an adapter would be my first choice, especially if you don't have a lot of experience shooting with one. You could pick up the Panasonic 14-42 used for probably $100 or less and it's a pretty decent lens for the price. It'll also have the image stabilization. The Olympus 14-42 mk II is another good option, no IS but still a decent lens with quick auto focus.

I'd sell you my Panasonic 14-42 but I don't have enough funds yet to replace that focal length. :wink: I've been pretty happy with it though as a general purpose lens.

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I have an extra Oly 14-42 mkI kit lens (no IS)... $70 shipped (in the US)?

16. Ingeribe

Ingeribe New to Mu-43

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Feb 5, 2012
    Canandaigua, NY
    I'm going to volunteer and will be living on a wildlife reserve so the trip isn't 100%about taking opictures. But I want to be able to take nice pictures when I get some free time.

SRhEdD I'll pm you.

17. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

Dec 16, 2009
    It WOULD be an AWESOME deal... but I just sold it :)

Seriously though, you'd be hard pressed to find a better combo than the 40mm Konica and the GF1. It's compact, tack sharp, and just looks cool. You can probably get one for around the same price if you take a little time on ebay.

Also, Amazon has a lot of adapters for sale along with rainbowimaging.com. They're all basically of good quality and under $20.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I will also suggest the Konica Hexanon. The 40mm "panacke", or one of the others as well. I ended up selling my 40mm f/1.8 but kept my 50mm f/1.4, which is my favorite. :)

These Hexanons are often touted the sharpest lenses made for 35mm film. People seem to vary on which particular one is the sharpest, though. :biggrin:

19. dixeyk

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

Aug 9, 2010
    Without a doubt the Konica 50/1.7 is THE sharpest. So sharp it almost hurts to look at the images. That said, the 40 is a VERY close second and the 50/1.4 is my favorite of the affordable Konica 50's (still really sharp but better bokeh)

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks! Very worthy assessment.... :thumbup:

So do your eyes bleed from the sharpness of the 50mm/1.7? :D