1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens for Motorsport?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 12, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'm looking for a long lens to use for a few things but mainly to give some motorsport photography a try but I'm not sure which of the long lenses are best.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

2. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Panasonic 100-300mm. It's a no-brainer.

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    +1

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Or the Oly 70-300, but I believe it's much more expensive than the Panasonic. But since it doesn't have OIS, you probably wouldn't want to use it on the GF2.

To be honest, though, the best lens for motorsports might be one you can mount to a good DSLR.

5. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've got an EM-5 that I'd intend to use for this, not the GF2!!!

I wouldn't be using anything enough for motorsport to switch back to a DSLR.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Well here's a down and dirty suggestion you can try. Mount your native 45mm lens, set your M-5 to the 2x tele-converter (which gives you a 180mm equiv.), and do some test shots of passing cars at about f8. and evaluate your test shots using your computer software. IF the results are acceptable to you, pick up an mZuiko 40-150, they are very low cost and very sharp. You would now have an equiv. 600mm lens when using the 2x digital tele-converter. Worth a try.

7. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks folks, with the current £50 cashback the 100-300 looks like a good option and will mean I spend my cash on that and not on either a 75mm or 12mm lol (or both)

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Chris, when are you planning to do the motorsport shooting? I'd be interested to see your results.

9. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I shoot mostly automotive-related stuff, including motorsports, and my most used lenses at the track at the P100-300 and the 7-14.

10. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Do we have a motorsports image thread stickied yet? Hint, hint.

If I've just missed it, link it for the guy on pain meds pro favor :)

11. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Its something I'd ideally be looking at for August as the British Touring Car Championship comes to the local racetrack then, although knowing Knockhill it will probably be dire weather wise.

If I get a lens I might try and get over before then though for some practice!

12. m43shooter

m43shooter Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Belgium
    Phil
    I agree. If action sports photography is the primary goal, I honestly think dslr is more mature than m43. Perhaps in the future we will see faster tele zoom glass and even better CAF.

Using dslr lenses with adapters result in slower AF performance. So 'no go' for me. Perhaps, at this point, I also agree that the 100-300 or 75-300 are best choices. I would suggest trying them both as some reports indicate that oly lenses give a bit better AF performance than other brands on oly body.

Also experiment to find the best settings in camera for best AF performance when shooting action sports on track. Keep us posted on your decision and results.