1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lens for landscapes and sometimes for general use

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by D4rK89, Jan 24, 2014.

1. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    Hello.

I can't decide what should i buy for landscape and for general use sometimes. I have already Olympus 12-50mm kit, Olympus 45mm 1.8 and PL 25mm 1.4. I think about selling kit lens and buy Olympus 12-40 pro lens 2.8 or Olympus 9-18mm. I will use it mainly for landscapes but getting 12-40 will give me some more versatility. How those lenses perform in 12mm ?Is 9-18 good at wide angle ? or i will use it at 12 anyway? Any kind of help or advice will be nice. Sorry for my english but its not my native language :)

PS. I have in mind also 12mm 2.0 but its not either universal and its not wider than 12-40. Can you compare those in sharpness and contrast? Is it worth to get 12mm 2.0 instead of 12-40?

Thanks.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I have used to have the 9-18 and did not like it very much, I own now the P12-35 and it is a great lens that gives allot of flexibility when traveling. I highly recommend the change to the O12-40 or the P12-35. If you want an UWA lens for pennies i would recommend getting the Rokinin/Samyang 7.5 fishy, it is a great lens and can be used for landscape if you put the horizon in the center.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ceklund

ceklund New to Mu-43

Apr 5, 2010
    I find I like the sharpness and rendering of the 12-40 at close through infinity, which makes it a good landscape lens for me. I find the 12mm to be better at close to mid range.

Chuck

4. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'd go for a zoom (12-40 or 12-35) in your case. More versatile.

5. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    Im going toward 12-40mm too but i dont know if i will regret not getting some wider angle. Really can't decide what to do, Olympus 12-40 is so impressive lens.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Get the O12-40 you will not regret, the 12 mm is wide for most landscape uses. If you will need some wider shots you can always stitch a two photo panorama.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The FOV at 9mm is quite a bit wider than at 12mm, so the 9-18 and 12-40 are not really comparable if you want to go seriously wide.

The 9-18 is a good lens IMHO. Contrast is good and resolution is fine except in the far corners, but stopped down a little it's fine. Personally, the 9-18 is my go-to UWA zoom. I used to have the 7-14 and whilst that was a little sharper, it was bigger, more expensive, didn't take filters and had flare issues on the E-M5. In the past I had a Canon 5dii and the 17-40L and TBH, the 9-18 is very nearly as good as that.

However, the 9-18 is quite a bit slower than the 12-40 and not up to its IQ. So, if 12mm is wide enough for you, go with that, but don't be put off the 9-18 if you need wider.

8. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Another vote going to the 9-18. I love the size, lightness and image quality.

9. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    I picked up a used 9-18 a few months ago because it was at too good a price to leave.
    It sat in my bag for a while before I decided to use it.
    I was pleasantly surprised at how versatile it really is.
    I have used it to photograph home interiors for web usage, landscapes, group photos and just all around stuff.
    I have not been disappointed at all. Knowing what I know now I would have ordered it for full price years ago.

My vote is for the 9-18. There are so many other lenses out there at moderate priced that you can lay your hands on for all other uses.

Dave T

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Don't forget the O17 1.8 that and the O12 - 40 make a very nice 2 lens carry around combo. The O12 is a great lens and when you are shooting inside and need the extra stop(s) it is worth every penny.

11. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I will pick the 12-40 over the 9-18 because of it's a more versatile 24-80mm range (you can do both landscape and portrait), constant fast aperture of f2.8, better sharpness across the frame and from near distance to infinity, lower CA and distortion, weather-sealing, etc. The 9-18 is a very different lens/focal range - it's great for travel and shooting in tight quarters but not as good for reach and low-light shooting. It will complement the 12-40 well but if I am having to pick just one of them it will definitely be the 12-40 for it's versatility, speed and IQ.

12. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    I think i'll pick Zuiko 12-40 and later i'll add 40-150mm 2.8 to get best combo. Maybe in future i'll try 9-18 or 7-14.

BobbyTan - How you like Lumix 7-14? on E-M1?

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I would go for the 12-40 as a general lens for landscape and other stuff. Sometimes I want wider, and an ultrawide zoom certainly has its place, but landscapes come in all flavors and are shot at all focal lengths. The biggest prints on my walls are stitched panos, so wide without distortion, usually shot at around 17-20mm (MFT), and a few telephoto (200mm) shots.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Your premise is that for landscapes, you need a wide angle lens. If you can modify that to say that you either need a wide angle lens OR to shoot a panorama, you can have low cost and superb performance at the same time.

1-LoRes-1.

This photo (of the Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain) was stitched (in Elements) from four or five frames shot with an Oly 45mm, which you already have. I have printed it 30" wide and there is still more detail in the image than is rendered in the print. I'm going to try it next at 40" or maybe even 50"

The sharpness makes sense when you think about it: Essentially it's four 8x10" prints, side by side. Even a not-so-sharp M43 lens will look pretty sharp at that magnification.

You can shoot landscape panos easily by just pivoting a little each time you shoot, though my example was shot off a tripod with the head leveled. For landscapes, too, you don't have to worry about nodal points or fancy pano heads. Those matter for shooting at much closer distances, like indoor architectural photography.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    My thoughts exactly. The 12-40 and 40-150 would be terrific … and according to the Olympus road map, there will also be a UWA zoom lens, possibly in the range of 6-12mm which would be fantastic.

I did use my 7-14 quite a bit (and loved it) on my trips to Italy where most cities are very crammed, but frankly I am getting quite tired of the CA and purple fringing/purple blobs, and flare. For sure an Olympus 6-12 or 7-14 PRO will be significantly better i.e. with very little CA, flare and distortion, like the 12-40.

I will be selling my 7-14 and possibly also 17/1.8 and 25/1.4 (the 12-40 will have to do, for now) to fund the Nocticron.

16. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    Thanks for help. I'll buy 12-40 2.8 !