1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens for birding

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by andrewteee, Jun 6, 2011.

1. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    New here from the Serious Compacts forum. I have a few questions in regards to birding and m4/3 lenses and cameras. I recently pulled out my old binoculars and began to observe the wildlife around our home and local parks. I was really enjoying it and eventually purchased a higher quality pair of optics.

But it is odd for me as a photographer to look through optics and not be able to take a picture. Eventually, I'd like to have a camera/lens pair that would allow me to capture birds. Right now I am not set up to do that as all of my current lenses across various cameras are around 28-72mm.

I don't currently own a m4/3 camera, but in the past I owned the Olympus E-P2. My questions involve using m4/3 cameras and lenses as birding cameras. I know that I need length (up to 600mm), but the lower weight of a m4/3 setup is appealing for my purposes. I am not a "birder" yet; it's just a casual interest. I also have an Olympus E5 camera, but the lenses appropriate for birding, though outstanding, are heavy and expensive. If I get serious down the road then I can re-evaluate.

So, for birding are the m4/3 cameras perfectly viable options? Which of the longest m4/3 teles seems to work best, the Olympus or Panasonic? Which cameras? With its built-in EVF the G3 looks appealing, but I do like the Olympus rendering and color.

BTW during this summer's vacation I'll be in Cape Cod and Florida, both good birding locations. A m4/3 camera could be my optimum travel setup. In the past the dynamic range and low light capabilities discouraged me, but I do have a large number of great pictures from the E-P2 and the Panasonic 20mm lens.

Thanks!

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have both the EP1,2 and Panasonic G2 and GH2. The panasonics focus much better with the native m4/3 glass. The best combination would be the GH2 with the native 100-300mm lens. The GH2 image quality is outstanding.

I have just picked up a 4/3 70-300 at a very good price. Much cheaper than the m4/3 alternatives. It focuses very slowly on the micro bodies but it Ok when close to where it needs to be. So far I'm finding the optics to be absolutely outstanding. This lens would obviously work on your E5 at full speed, and need an adaptor for the micro system.

Gordon

3. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks Gordon.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  5. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular