1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens flare with m43 lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bobby_t1, Sep 23, 2012.

1. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Am currently traveling in Europe with my OM-D and have these lenses:

- Panasonic 7-14
    - Panasonic 25 1.4
    - Olympus 45 1.8
    - Olympus 40-150 R

I'm surprised how much lenses flare I'm getting with all of them when shooting sunsets.

Lens flare from side light is easy for me to solve with either the hood on my 40-150 or just using my hand.

Is this normal to get so much flare with m43 lenses? I'm shooting for the first time seriously with my OM-D (my first m43 camera) and used to shoot with a D700 and D7000 with a variety of lenses (both primes and UW zooms).

Is this just a failing of these lenses or is this normal for the format?

2. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Flare is caused by the lens and strong light source(s) striking at an angle. Wide angle lenses are typically more prone to it. I haven't had the pleasure, but your Panasonic 7-14mm is probably the most likely to suffer due to its extremely wide FOV. I have owned or used the other lenses you have, but not encountered any significant problem with any of them. Although to be fair, I don't recall shooting sunsets with anything other than kit lenses or the Panasonic 14mm.

Lee

3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I only get a lot of flare with the 7-14 because it's difficult to keep the sun out of the frame at 7mm. Did you really use a lens this wide with your Nikon cameras and it was better at dealing with flare?

Otherwise I haven't had many problems with a lot of flare, but I don't really shoot towards the sunset. I usually use the soft light to illuminate what I'm photographing, or towards the sunset after the sun has effectively set but it's still illuminating the sky beautifully.

Of course I'm not saying you should change what you photograph, just that maybe I don't place my gear in as challenging of a situation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I find my P20mm suffers flair the most. It can be a bit of a problem at times. I've just bought a hood for it but haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I was quite delighted to see that the Rokinon 7.5 does not suffer from flare problem. I have made a few photos with the sun in the edge of the frame without seeing any flare.
    Attached are two example which were taken at noon in the harsh East Mediterranean sun.

P1050408.

P1050381.

6. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    sometimes a little flare can be welcome...

Needles.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Search - there are reports of more flare with the OMD due to reflections off the sensor, especially with the 7-14

8. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I'm getting horrible flare from the OM-D with the Olympus 75mm - even with a hood :frown:

75flare_zps3258a65c.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    A hood doesn't do anything if the sun is in the frame

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    What they said. If you include a strong light source in the frame or, in many cases, just outside the frame, you're going to get flare, regardless of the lens format.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That is a totally expected result. Actually, I'm surprised it isn't worse. :redface:

12. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    You are quite right, bad choice of image, I just happened to be working on that set. The 75mm does flare, even when the light source is not in the frame.

13. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Hmmm.. Perhaps my memory is failing me, but I don't recall flare as common with my D7000 and D700 across multiple lenses.

Seems like this isn't a format issue, just a lens quality/construction issue?

14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I get flare from my Panasonic 14-45mm when shooting with the sun in the frame, but it does seem well controlled.

AUTUMN_2010_037_e_r_s1.

15. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I know many hate it, but I actually really like lens flare. I think it adds to the shot feeling when the sun's in the frame. A couple of really nice examples in this thread already.

• Like Like x 1
  16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    On the iPad and iPhone, there are apps available to ADD lens flare!