1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens flare - advice please

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by BillN, Apr 19, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Is this lens flare - middle of image - bottom centre - on the wall

Can I get rid of it in photoshop? - if so simple instructions please

Cheers

[​IMG]

2. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    Hmmmm...

Could be, it is hard to tell really whether it is in the mural and it's apparent spill over the wall and trunk is an illusion. Either way it is distracting once noticed : /

May I ? ...
    [​IMG]
    (above, one quick solution)

I copy'n'pasted an upper part of treetrunk down and, once in place, cut the bottom off so that it was level with the wall, then darkened it slightly at the bottom edge (a bit too much so you could see it) just to set it back from the wall a little. I left this layer above all the others whilst I used the smudge/clone tools to fix the blueish cast...

Used smudge and a 1px-feathered selection mask to pull the greens over the ugly blues and under that new tree-base layer. First the left side rightwards, then the right side leftwards.

Then I cut'n'pasted a darker brick to replace the one that was there in the top row, slid it into place and trimmed it to size.

Total time, less than 2 minutes, but you could be more careful : )

Unfortunately there isn't really a tool for removing lens flare (if that's what it was) so you just have to tidy up, even rebuild sections, using whatever tools are appropriate for the image behind, such as using perspective clone tools for replacing brick or tile, etc. But with enough patience even large problems can be fixed.

-Gary

3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Gary - that is a lot better

The wall is a real wall and the trees are real trees and the houses are real houses

the mural is the painted side of one of those roller park things - on the quays in Bordeaux

It is a scan from a negative

then I messed around with it a little

Cheers

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Bill

step away from the sharpen tool....wont cure the flare problem... but will get rid of those nasty halos around the trees... unless of course that was an artistic effect you were looking for

K

5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Kevin

My first go with photoshop, (well LR and photoshop elements - but I have CS2) - the problem is I have no idea what I did, (apart from the history) or why I really did it - just changed things on the fly until I got what I wanted - must read the book or something? - trying to make it look different - "not real"

The original shot was taken with my M6

6. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    No problem

Maybe... but the end result is so beautifully surreal. I love it : )

Like Kevin says, there is a sharp halo around the trees which makes them look like paper cutouts... but I actually enjoy the feel I get from them. Un-natural, cartoonishly surreal and dreamlike.

And, of course, the mural becomes the focus in it's world of subdued colour and depth. Indeed, it almost feels as though the whole world it inhabits is itself a mural.

Quite an artistic piece and by robbing it of detail you've given it so much more in my view. A mural within a mural within a mural.

Lovin' your work Bill

-Gary

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.