Lens Filters/Hoods for 12-50 and 45 f/1.8

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Trego, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Trego

Trego Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    First of all, I am really new to EVIL photography. Snap pictures with a P&S like a fool, but this is all new to me. So far, I picked up the OM-D 12-50 Kit and just got a lightly used 45mm for 300 bucks (did I do okay?)

So my question is, do I need to pick up filters to protect my lenses, or are filters for another purpose?

How much does brand/quality matter?

Also, I like the look of the lens hoods, but what are they for exactly?

Yeah...huge n00b. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

And I promise to share pictures soon.
  2. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    people put uv filter to protect their lens... I don't like using them since Im very careful with my gear.... usually brand names fit better, but third party as good as well. I would stick with the recommendations from this board.... Hoods are for protection and minimizing flare.
  3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    For the 12-50 I got the JJC replacement. It fits nicely and snaps into place as it should. Same hood as the Olympus for a fraction of the price. Amazon has it: Amazon.com: JJC LH-J55B Professional Lens Hood for Olympus 9-18mm & 12-50mm Zuiko Lenses Replaces Olympus LH-55B: Electronics

For the 45 I got a metal screw on hood, that I pretty much keep screwed into the UV filter on front. I believe I got it at Adorama. Any 37mm screw on will work.

As for UV filters: It's a personal choice. Walking around I keep one on. If I don't want the effect it produces I take it off. But it keeps a lot of grit off my lens in the desert climate where I live.
  4. Trego

Trego Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012

So would a lens hood helped with this shot? (which I like, but definitely flared)
  5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    A lens hood may have reduced the flare slightly, but more likely it may have given a little more contrast/richer color. In addition to offering a bit of protection for the front element of a lens, hoods can keep out stray light which can tend to wash out an image. I don't use UV filters, but try to use hoods on all my lenses whenever possible. As far as brands go, typically aftermarket hoods are nearly as good as the manufacturer's originals and much less expensive. Regarding filter brands however, you get what you pay for. Higher prices generally mean better coatings and less degradation of image quality. That doesn't mean you need to spend $400 on a filter, just that the $5 filter probably isn't worth buying. Find a happy medium based on what you're willing to compromise - image quality or the money in your wallet.
  6. Trego

Trego Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    LH-40B or LH-48?
  7. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Ambler Pa. Just northwest of Phila
    Re hood for 12-50

The olympus catalogue id is LH-55b. It also fits the micro 9-18 lens. Careful if you use the hood on the 12 to 50 lens with the included flash it will leave a shadow on the bottom of your picture.

Love the omd,
    enjoy yours,
    quite cute child in pic:smile:
  8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    LH-40B. I got the quite expensive Olympus one, all I could find in Europe at the time. I've used it only a handful of times when the sun would have affected the shot.

Due to the size of the hood relative to the size of the lens it's not very convenient to store it reversed on the lens (especially when swapping lenses). It makes gripping the lens to turn it rather difficult. I generally store the hood off the lens.