Lens fault or characteristic?

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I use the E-M1 ii mainly for motorsports and recently purchased a "well used" Olympus 40-150 f2.8 from mpb. I like the lens and it focuses fine but I've noticed that under certain circumstances the output is over exposed. I'm using centre weighted and setting the shutter speed manually but if there is a lot of contrast in the image then the output is overexposed. I've tried to compensate by using exposure compensation in high contrast settings but I don't need to do that for other lenses.
Does anyone have to use different exposure settings for different lenses? Has anyone get any suggestions for testing out the lens? Any other suggestions?
P9112661.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

knikki

Mu-43 Regular
I use a 40-150 f.2-8 as well and sometimes will get the same issue IF as panning across the light levels change and the camera can't keep up but I can't remember the last time I used centre weighted metering.

It is not hard in post to rescue something like the above by using levels and or curves.

As John says try Matrix that seems to work very well.

You going to Oulton tomorrow?

knikki

Mu-43 Regular
I have an E-M1.3 and cannot find the term Matrix in the manual (or in the E-M5.3 manual either). Can you please tell me what the metering setting for "matrix metering" is?

Olympus it is ESP or Digital ESP Metering.
Nikon it is Matrix metering.
Canon Evaluative metering.
Sony Multi metering.
Fuji Mutli exposure metering patten.

Different names for the same thing where the camera divides the image up into multiple areas to give the correct metering for your exposure :)

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've seen customer's lenses randomly over-expose when the diaphragm blades get sticky, sometimes oil or grease on them from heat.

Might try shooting wide open and seeing if the exposure changes due to shutter or ISO metering shifts if in modes other than Manual.

Latest threads

Top Bottom