Lens Error on kit M.Zuiko 14-42mm at c.35mm - any advice?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jazzuk777, Jul 3, 2015.

1. jazzuk777

jazzuk777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2015
    When I extend the lens it causes an error a little bit before it is fully zoomed. I've not tried anything yet to fix it, such as cleaning the contacts.

Any advice, for example, best way to clean contacts, or anything else to try?
  2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
  3. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    I had the same issue with my 'R' version of this lens. Would error at around 30mm and I had to switch the camera off and back on as the LCD would go black. Would work fine between 14-30mm. I did notice the first sign was that it would miss focus often above 35mm before it quickly stopped working above that range.

Given that you can find them cheap on ebay I didn't bother trying to fix it. Just gave it away and got the P12-32mm instead.

I'm assuming either sand or a bad knock got to mine as I was on holidays at the time.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My Olympus 9-18mm does something similar. It lets me zoom all the way to 18mm but if I attempt to focus with it above 14mm I get a lens error. I then have to collapse it fully and re-extend it to "reset" the lens. It just started doing this one day without any drop or impact (that I am aware of).
  5. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    The same happened to me - like betamax I used it as an excuse to get a 12-32. I am fairly sure it was not the result of a drop, it happened during the middle of a day when I had been shooting frequently and not changed lenses or done anything unusual. There are a lot of reports of similar things happening to Olympus lenses, nearly always with the feature that the lens still works at the wider part of the zoom range but not when you zoom beyond a certain point. It gives the impression there may be some kind of design weak point that tends to fail after a certain amount of usage. I am not certain but I think the reports relate mainly to lenses with the "unlock" mechanism (but this may be coincidence as the kit lens are obviously the most common anyway). I was fairly relaxed about it happening to my cheap, old, and easily replaced kit lens but I guess I wouldn't be so happy if it happened me on something like the 9-18.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jazzuk777

jazzuk777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2015
    I'm not at all impressed - the lens has not had a long or a hard life. What is the warranty length on the kit lenses- anyone know, I'm not coming up with anything? Seems to me they should last years

I am wondering whether I want to invest in another lens, or maybe move to another manufacturer?

I had problems with my original PM1 body and now have a PM2. So options I guess are (I have a 40-150 kit lens still working):

Buy another identical lens for PM2 and hope I get better luck
    Buy a panasonic lens?
    Buy a different system?
    Another option?

What are people's thoughts?
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015