1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens envy/jealousy/lust - exciting days!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Armanius, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Exciting days for m4/3 users with new and better lenses finally coming around. Anyone out there already get what may be the new trinity of m4/3 lenses? The 12/2, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8, IMO.

With Pany supposedly coming out with a fast standard zoom and a fast telephoto zoom (I think I read that somewhere), all we may need/want/lust are: a fast 17, and a fast 100.

Oh, and maybe a nice macro lens with 1:1 magnification.

Your thoughts?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't have it, but I will agree that would seem the holy trinity of m4/3 primes to me as well. At least, until we can add some telephoto primes to the mix.

In a fast (like 2.8ish) 100mm length, please! :D

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    there is already a very nice 1:1 macro - the PL45/2.8

My thoughts are they can't come fast enough!

If Panny wants any more lens money from me, they have to offer upgrades (ie faster aperture) replacements for the focal lengths I already have. I am excited to see the "normal" fast zoom, although I hope it has a bit more range than the rumored 12-35

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am curious if the rumored-but-yet-to-be-announced Oly 50mm macro would take the place of both the Oly 45 and PL 45 macro on the high end.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not me, I would rather have the 12-35mm range than letting them increase the range to make a larger, more expensive lens or a compromised lens in order to keep the fast aperture.

A smaller focal range will allow them to keep the lens compact, while still providing a fast aperture and high optical quality. If they make a nice fast 12-35mm, they could supplement that with another fast zoom in the mid-telephoto range (since 12-35mm is rather wide).

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'd thought it was 1:2. But I was probably thinking of the old but awesome Oly 50/2.

How about then a macro lens that doesn't cost $700+? :)

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I was thinking of at least 2.8 for the 100 as well. Hopefully with OIS. Now a F2 would be awesome, if it doesn't get too chunky!

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You mean like the Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 1:1 macro? That would be handy... very compact, sharp, and affordable lens which would be right in line with the system.

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    35 is doable for portrait stuff. So we'd get some use on that long end. If Pany can keep the 12-35 at a constant F2 ... wow!!!

10. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    London
    A very sharp, very fast focusing, fast aperture prime telephoto for me, please, something equivalent to the Canon 300 f2.8L or 400 f2.8L but much smaller and lighter! These sorts of lenses are great for motorsports shooting and although I have used both the Olympus 40-150 and 75-300 for this recently, neither is particularly fast (in both senses, aperture and focusing speed), so something like those big Canons but without the backache would be brilliant :thumbup:

Olympus / Panasonic - are you listening??? :biggrin:

11. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    I just ordered the Oly 45/1.8, now now I'm waiting for a 1:1 macro lens with a focal length of at least 60-70mm (100mm would be perfect) not particularly fast (f/3.5 would be ok for a budget lens).

12. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

An Oly 50mm macro will likely come in at f2.8 or such. Macro and wide aperture and small seem to be a "pick two-of-three" compromise.

13. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Im interested in the Oly 45mm, mainly because of all the Canon heads going on about their 'nifty fifties' Im interested to see what the fuss is about.

Apart from that I've everything I need, although if they produced an ultra wide fast prime, say 7mm, then I might be interested.

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    the PL 25/1.4 is the equiv of the nifty fifty, well, actually the CV25/0.95 is probably closer

15. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    and then the nifty fifty is actually a nifty 75 on an APS-C? :biggrin:

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
  17. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    The lens lineup is looking good and it almost seems like theres a premium setup of 3 (12,25,45 Panasonic) and a cheaper three (14 or 17, 20 & Olympus 45mm) for my own needs I'd say everything is there now (if I could afford it!)

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, it's more the same on a Four-Thirds sensor as well as APS-C.

Take a look at the difference between a Four-Thirds crop and an APS-C crop:

sensor-size_comparison.

This is what that image would look like on an APS-C sensor using the same focal length and distance:
    sensor-size_aps-c.

And this is what it would look like on a Four-Thirds sensor:
    sensor-size_four-thirds.

The images look pretty much the same except the APS-C is wider, right? So to me, that 50mm would be more equivalent to an 80mm view (1.6x crop) than a 100mm view (2x crop) from an old 35mm film SLR point-of-view. It's like an 80mm lens cropped on the edges to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The problem with using that "2x crop factor" idea is that we are dealing with two completely different aspect ratios (3:2 vs. 4:3). Technically, Field of View is measured with the diagonal angle, which doesn't account for the differences in aspect, as you can see from the demonstration above. It does work with APS-C though, because APS-C uses the same aspect ratio as Full Frame, so the "1.6x crop" of an APS-C sensor actually makes sense for determining an "equivalent focal length". I prefer to use the APS-C crop factor for Four-Thirds to get a better idea of "equivalency" or "magnification".

• Like Like x 6
  19. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

FWIMBW, the Panny proposed zoom ranges in mft of 12-35 mm and 35-100 mm are probably near optimum for truly high quality and reasonable weight f/2.8 lenses. There is a whole lot of industry experience with near great lenses in these two focal length ranges. I suppose we really need to hold our glee until we hear what the true prices for these wonders are going to be. I suspect the old pocket book is rapidly going to become lighter than are the lenses.

Best regards,
    Tom

20. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Excellent point - 2x is oversimplified.