1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens dilemma/what to bring

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jakob F., Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm going on a 2 week trip with my family -gf and 2 boys age 2 and 4, relaxation, touring the countryside, going to the beach etc.
    I'm trying to pack light, so I'm thinking 3 lenses will have to be enough (+extra SD cards, various filters/step rings/batteries/etc.)

I've packed the 12/2, 25/1.4 and m.Zuiko 40-150 and my Velbon cx mini tripod -but then I'll have to leave the 45/1.8 at home, along with my OM50/3.5 macro, the Samyang fisheye and the m.Zuiko 14-42

If I should change anything, I'd probably be leaving the 40-150 and bring the fisheye and the 45 instead...

Can't pack'em all, though, so just for the heck of it -what would you bring?

2. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I'd bring: 7.5, 12, 25, 45. Initially I was thinking not the fisheye, but it's so small, I'd rather leave something else behind. Not sure what filters & step-ups, I'd stick with 1 PL & 1 ND and step-ups only for the most likely setup using a filter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Ill probably take my Oly 12mm, PL 25mm, and PL45mm. Ill leave my telephoto zoom (P45-200mm) unless I know I'm going to be shooting wildlife or action.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If it were me with those choices, I'd bring:

12mm, 25mm, 45mm, 14-42mm

I would almost suggest not bringing a zoom at all and sticking with the 25mm as a general use lens, but my experience is there's times during travel where changing lenses is a pain and you want the convenience of a variable focal length. The 14-42 is so small it's worth tossing in a bag just in case, IMO. It makes a decent all around zoom, and is what I used for my first year of shooting along with the 20mm f/1.7 for a fast prime.

As far as the other lenses, the fisheye is a pretty specific effect so unless you like using that a lot or anticipate wanting it for specific shots, I'd leave it home. The 40-150 is a great choice if you think you'll need extra reach for specific scenarios. I love the 14-140 for that reason, but with the 40-150 you're a little too limited to the long end for general use. With the 45-200 or 100-300 as an only lens I find myself frequently a little too close and it's like trying to swing a golf club indoors :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think I'd choose exactly the lenses the OP chose. They give you a wide range of capabilities in terms of both FL and DOF. Lenses like the 45 and fisheye are more limited in their usage (at least for me). Leaving the 40-150 behind would give you no real tele capability at all, and on vacation I find that's an important thing to have. You can't always get close to what you want to shoot. My 14-140 was my most used lens on my recent European trip. (My three lens kit for that consisted of a 7-14, 25/1.4 and 14-140).

• Like Like x 1
  6. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    If you have a little bit of vertical space in your bag you might consider stack capping a few lenses. Might get an extra lens out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I completely agree - if you have a 14-140 or similar lens that gives you a wide range and it's likely my most used lens. The only problem with a 40-150 (or 45-200 which is what I've used) is you lose a lot of short end, which is some of my most used focal range on the 14-140.

A lot depends on likely photo scenarios. For the kids playing at the beach or the like, even the relatively short 45mm will do pretty well based on my experience. If you're looking to shoot wildlife (zoo?), a far-off stage at a concert, or something like that then the 45-150 would be really welcome to have along.

Of course, the reality is I'd just take all of the above, if my pack list for Alaska is any indication :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    same thing I will do.

9. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I would bring the 14-42, 40-150, and 25. This closely approximates my original travel kit where I have the 20 instead of the 25.

Now, I've consolidated and carry a 14-150 with the 20. I'm thinking of getting a UWA to fill out my range. :)

10. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    You'd leave the 12/2 at home and bring the 14-42 when you already have 25 & 40-42 covered even without it? I know you're missing 17.5mm perspective...

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I'm just surprised and curious as to which perspective of the 14-42 you prefer? Or the convenience of the zoom for travel?

11. Surely you could sneak the 45/1.8 and even the 14-42 into your girlfriend's handbag? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    When traveling, unless traveling exclusively to shoot photos, I find it a royal pain in the @ss to be changing lenses. I am on the move, often times with other people, and it's simply inconvenient to pause and slap on the right lens for what I see. This is my main impetus for getting the 14-150, as a travel lens. I shoot often enough and tele that such a lens is well used. I am learning to live with the less than ideal image quality.

My two main needs for a fast prime when traveling is for low light handheld shots and for compositions calling for shallower DOF than achieved with a tele. Although, I admit to leaving the 20mm on outside of those scenarios because I just love the images I capture with it.

Most of my shots with the 14-42 have been on the wide 14mm end. I admit to oftentimes wanting to go wider, which is why I'm considering the 9-18mm to fill out my travel kit. I suspect that most of my images with such a lens would be at 9mm.

13. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Initially, the plan with the 3 lens setup was just as much to keep it simple as to save space -to avoid switching all the time and just concentrate on my family and shoot with what I had.

However -I was a little uncomfortable leaving the fisheye behind, so now I've stacked a bit, and will bring the 7.5, 12, 25 and 40-150.
    I'll be smack in the middle of nature and wildlife practically all the time, so leaving the zoom would most likely be a big regret.
    The 45 is the only one covered by the zoom, and not that necessary where I go, so it'll stay home for this trip, along with the 14-42 and my Holga 25 (which is most fun for a light incognito setup on bright sunny days anyway)

Thanks for all the input -as always, it's good to hear what you guys think :)

/Jakob

14. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm curious; where will you be going? :)

15. Jakob F.

Jakob F. Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    My girlfriend's mom's got a cottage near the sea -we'll be staying there for one week. Plenty of landscape/wildlife possibilities there.
    The second week we'll be camping, also pretty far off the beaten track, with beach/seascapes as well as forest and cornfields. Should be plenty of wildlife opportunities there as well. Hopefully I can convince myself to get up early, like 3/3.30 in the morning, when there's a better chance for deer and foxes and the likes -we'll see ;v)

• Like Like x 1