1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens crisis: small+light or top quality?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BigTam, Apr 28, 2014.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Although I love the quality of my 75 and 12-40, they take up a lot of space in my bag, and they're (relatively) heavy. I moved to m43 from Nikon to free myself from big+heavy.

So I'm seriously thinking about selling them. For portraits (which is mostly what I've been using the 75 for), I have the Olympus 45. For wide - which I must keep - I have the 9-18. The 12 isn't wide enough for me, and I can't live with fisheyes.

Anyone else with the same dilemma - or suggestions for me?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have the same thought myself from time to time. In my case though, it's not the size of the individual lenses, it's the ensemble. I've now amassed 5 primes (7.5, 17, 25, 45 and 75) and three zooms (9-18, 12-35 and 100-300). As much as I love the primes, they fill the bag and mean lots of lens swaps so I'm half thinking of switching to three main zooms plus one wide prime (7-14, 12-35, 35-100 and the 25). That'll half my lens count and probably half the number of lens changes too. OTOH, I like the IQ and DOF that the primes deliver and there's no denying that they're much smaller than the zooms indibidually.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I prefer having zooms in the extremes. Such as the UWA or the telephoto focal lengths. The midrange is always a prime. I think you should try it out first. Rent or borrow a prime in the midrange and shoot for a week? Using it as opposed to the 12-40 would drop your weight and size dramatically.

My ideal setup would be an UWA zoom, preferably a f/4; a 35 mm or 50 mm equivalent prime, preferably a f/1.4; a telephoto zoom, preferably a f/2.8.

9-18, 17 f1.8 or 25 f1.4, 35-100 would probably fit that ideal nicely. The telephoto only comes out when I know there's some kind of event going on.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Have you considered the smaller Panasonic 12-35 instead?
    I am with you on the smaller side of the equation. If you are mainly shooting in good light, maybe one of regular zooms like 14-42/12-32?
    45mm is so good. I finally got it after accumulating a small collection of vintage primes that were justified partly because they were cheaper . Wish I had gotten the 46mm earlier :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    BigTam, I hear ya! I switched from a Canon full frame setup to Olympus specifically to save on size/weight.

I have a similar line-up to yours (Oly 9-18, Oly 12-50, Samyang 7.5 FE, Oly 45, Oly 75, and I'm about to add the Pan 20). The last time I went back to Canada, I left my 75 there, because it's big and bulky and right now I'm doing a lot of travelling and the 45 does just fine.

For me: it comes down to this: If I can get a lens that's half the weight, half the price and half the bulk of another lens and still provides 98% of the image quality, then I'll happily compromise. Most of the lenses in Oly's line-up are so good that at the kinds of prints most people do, you'll never know whether you took it with a 9-18 or a 7-14. I've printed photos taken with the OM-D + 9-18 in massive A2 size, hung them up in a gallery next to pictures I took with a full frame canon and L lenses, and no one could tell which photo came from which camera.

Are the Oly Pro lenses absolutely beautiful? Definitely. Do they go smack against the whole reason I got into M4/3? You bet! I'm steering clear of them...I'm only picking up the small/light stuff (with the exception of the 75, which I just had to have) and happily trading the weight advantage for the non-real-world relevant performance advantage. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Funny; I'm just the opposite.

To Big Tam: Before you abandon the 12-40, pick up a Nikon or Canon with similar FOV zoom and remind yourself of how much you've already reduced the size and weight of your kit.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Im basically exactly the same!!!! UWA = zoom. 24mm to 85mm = primes. 85mm+ = zoom. <<< In 35mm terms I mean of course. At-least that's my ideal preference anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have some of the same thoughts. I bought into m4/3 for size. The E-PL1 and 20mm were my first setup. This fit nicely with the kit zoom and 40-150 into a small bag. Now, I have the 12-35 zoom and the 75mm along with the slightly fatter E-P5 and the much needed (for me) VF-4. These are small items but I now cannot fit into my nice bag and I feel I am starting to lose out of the benefits I started out with in m4/3. 1st world problems for sure...

Its all a sliding scale. There is no right answer but I still enjoy just going out with the body and the P20 occasionally.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yep...I'm choosing the Pan 20 1.7 over the Pan 25 1.4 (only $100 difference in Korea). Some might think it's crazy. But...I'm trying to make the most of this system for the reason I bought into it: size/weight advantages. I think with the 20 and the 45, I'd have a great walkaround/street candids/etc setup without having to take a bag...one on the body, one in the pocket! :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Having just relieved myself of my 5DII and collection of small(ish) prime lenses I think you all are nuts! Any of the m43 lenses are tiny in comparison to the DSLR equivalents - even the pro zooms. Its all relative I suppose, but I'm looking forward to a smaller and lighter kit with m43 with the 75mm, the 25mm f1.4 and the 45mm f1.8 (in addition to my legacy Zuiko glass should I wish to also carry it).

• Like Like x 1
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the same issue. I have the O12, O17, O45, V17 and V25. My bodies of choice are the E-M10 and E-M5. I passed on the E-M1 because I have the GH-3 (and soon 4), primarily for video, and did not want another big body. I have the 14-42 EZ, P12-35, and O12-40 (and 12-50, 14-42 R ii). Of the group I like the P12-35 the best but it does not play well with Oly bodies (please don't argue that you can correct in PP). For me the O12, 17, 25, which I do not own, 45 and EZ (and O40-150) represent the best of the small and light :43: kit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    No argument, just a question. What is the issue with the P12-35 on Oly bodies. I have had mine with two oly bodies and love the lens. What am I not seeing?

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    A little purple.

I do like the 12-35.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Remember a time when you could have a discussion without calling people names? That was nice, wasn't it?

What do you know of my situation? Nothing. Where do you get off judging my choices? I backpack throughout the world. Smaller, lighter, less noticeable/flashy (by would-be thieves) while sacrificing little IQ is the name of my game. Far from nuts. I will await your apology.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    You may be overreacting.

16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Guilty as charged.

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I don't think so...this is just such a peaceful little board, I hate seeing even traces of name calling, putting other people down, etc.

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have no idea - I don't see any issue either. The performance on the EM-1 and EM-5 looks the same as on the G5 and GX-1 here.

• Like Like x 1
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I really like my 75 so I'll deal with the weight. The 14, O25, 75, and O40-150 may be my essential kit, although I won't take them all every day. The 45 may get neglected but it's really not worth selling.

20. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Mine wasn't...I guess I'm just a nice guy who doesn't see the point of calling names online to a bunch of people who share your hobby and passion. :) It takes all sorts I guess...feel free to move on from there whenever, though, this is an interesting topic, try and not derail it too much. :)