Lens crisis: small+light or top quality?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BigTam, Apr 28, 2014.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Although I love the quality of my 75 and 12-40, they take up a lot of space in my bag, and they're (relatively) heavy. I moved to m43 from Nikon to free myself from big+heavy.

So I'm seriously thinking about selling them. For portraits (which is mostly what I've been using the 75 for), I have the Olympus 45. For wide - which I must keep - I have the 9-18. The 12 isn't wide enough for me, and I can't live with fisheyes.

Anyone else with the same dilemma - or suggestions for me?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have the same thought myself from time to time. In my case though, it's not the size of the individual lenses, it's the ensemble. I've now amassed 5 primes (7.5, 17, 25, 45 and 75) and three zooms (9-18, 12-35 and 100-300). As much as I love the primes, they fill the bag and mean lots of lens swaps so I'm half thinking of switching to three main zooms plus one wide prime (7-14, 12-35, 35-100 and the 25). That'll half my lens count and probably half the number of lens changes too. OTOH, I like the IQ and DOF that the primes deliver and there's no denying that they're much smaller than the zooms indibidually.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I prefer having zooms in the extremes. Such as the UWA or the telephoto focal lengths. The midrange is always a prime. I think you should try it out first. Rent or borrow a prime in the midrange and shoot for a week? Using it as opposed to the 12-40 would drop your weight and size dramatically.

My ideal setup would be an UWA zoom, preferably a f/4; a 35 mm or 50 mm equivalent prime, preferably a f/1.4; a telephoto zoom, preferably a f/2.8.

9-18, 17 f1.8 or 25 f1.4, 35-100 would probably fit that ideal nicely. The telephoto only comes out when I know there's some kind of event going on.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Have you considered the smaller Panasonic 12-35 instead?
    I am with you on the smaller side of the equation. If you are mainly shooting in good light, maybe one of regular zooms like 14-42/12-32?
    45mm is so good. I finally got it after accumulating a small collection of vintage primes that were justified partly because they were cheaper . Wish I had gotten the 46mm earlier :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    BigTam, I hear ya! I switched from a Canon full frame setup to Olympus specifically to save on size/weight.

I have a similar line-up to yours (Oly 9-18, Oly 12-50, Samyang 7.5 FE, Oly 45, Oly 75, and I'm about to add the Pan 20). The last time I went back to Canada, I left my 75 there, because it's big and bulky and right now I'm doing a lot of travelling and the 45 does just fine.

For me: it comes down to this: If I can get a lens that's half the weight, half the price and half the bulk of another lens and still provides 98% of the image quality, then I'll happily compromise. Most of the lenses in Oly's line-up are so good that at the kinds of prints most people do, you'll never know whether you took it with a 9-18 or a 7-14. I've printed photos taken with the OM-D + 9-18 in massive A2 size, hung them up in a gallery next to pictures I took with a full frame canon and L lenses, and no one could tell which photo came from which camera.

Are the Oly Pro lenses absolutely beautiful? Definitely. Do they go smack against the whole reason I got into M4/3? You bet! I'm steering clear of them...I'm only picking up the small/light stuff (with the exception of the 75, which I just had to have) and happily trading the weight advantage for the non-real-world relevant performance advantage. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Funny; I'm just the opposite.

To Big Tam: Before you abandon the 12-40, pick up a Nikon or Canon with similar FOV zoom and remind yourself of how much you've already reduced the size and weight of your kit.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Im basically exactly the same!!!! UWA = zoom. 24mm to 85mm = primes. 85mm+ = zoom. <<< In 35mm terms I mean of course. At-least that's my ideal preference anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I have some of the same thoughts. I bought into m4/3 for size. The E-PL1 and 20mm were my first setup. This fit nicely with the kit zoom and 40-150 into a small bag. Now, I have the 12-35 zoom and the 75mm along with the slightly fatter E-P5 and the much needed (for me) VF-4. These are small items but I now cannot fit into my nice bag and I feel I am starting to lose out of the benefits I started out with in m4/3. 1st world problems for sure...

Its all a sliding scale. There is no right answer but I still enjoy just going out with the body and the P20 occasionally.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yep...I'm choosing the Pan 20 1.7 over the Pan 25 1.4 (only $100 difference in Korea). Some might think it's crazy. But...I'm trying to make the most of this system for the reason I bought into it: size/weight advantages. I think with the 20 and the 45, I'd have a great walkaround/street candids/etc setup without having to take a bag...one on the body, one in the pocket! :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Having just relieved myself of my 5DII and collection of small(ish) prime lenses I think you all are nuts! Any of the m43 lenses are tiny in comparison to the DSLR equivalents - even the pro zooms. Its all relative I suppose, but I'm looking forward to a smaller and lighter kit with m43 with the 75mm, the 25mm f1.4 and the 45mm f1.8 (in addition to my legacy Zuiko glass should I wish to also carry it).

• Like Like x 1
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the same issue. I have the O12, O17, O45, V17 and V25. My bodies of choice are the E-M10 and E-M5. I passed on the E-M1 because I have the GH-3 (and soon 4), primarily for video, and did not want another big body. I have the 14-42 EZ, P12-35, and O12-40 (and 12-50, 14-42 R ii). Of the group I like the P12-35 the best but it does not play well with Oly bodies (please don't argue that you can correct in PP). For me the O12, 17, 25, which I do not own, 45 and EZ (and O40-150) represent the best of the small and light :43: kit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    No argument, just a question. What is the issue with the P12-35 on Oly bodies. I have had mine with two oly bodies and love the lens. What am I not seeing?

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    A little purple.

I do like the 12-35.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Remember a time when you could have a discussion without calling people names? That was nice, wasn't it?

What do you know of my situation? Nothing. Where do you get off judging my choices? I backpack throughout the world. Smaller, lighter, less noticeable/flashy (by would-be thieves) while sacrificing little IQ is the name of my game. Far from nuts. I will await your apology.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    You may be overreacting.

16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Guilty as charged.

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I don't think so...this is just such a peaceful little board, I hate seeing even traces of name calling, putting other people down, etc.

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have no idea - I don't see any issue either. The performance on the EM-1 and EM-5 looks the same as on the G5 and GX-1 here.

• Like Like x 1
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I really like my 75 so I'll deal with the weight. The 14, O25, 75, and O40-150 may be my essential kit, although I won't take them all every day. The 45 may get neglected but it's really not worth selling.

20. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Mine wasn't...I guess I'm just a nice guy who doesn't see the point of calling names online to a bunch of people who share your hobby and passion. :) It takes all sorts I guess...feel free to move on from there whenever, though, this is an interesting topic, try and not derail it too much. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.