Lens correction: When is it applied?

tetrode

New to Mu-43
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I'm confused. Panasonic applies various types of processing to correct MFT lens issues such as vignetting, geometric distortion, and chromatic aberration. With, say, a 20mm f/1.7 Lumix lens on a GF1 body, are these corrections applied in-camera to jpgs, in-camera to RAW files, or after the fact in post-processing software? What happens when I use that 20mm lens on an Olympus camera? Is there still a way to have appropriate corrections applied? Will Lightroom know what to do when it sees a Lumix 20mm lens in the EXIF?

Any and all insights appreciated.

Dave F.

panystac

Mu-43 Regular
The Panasonic G-series will apply in camera correction, based on lens characteristics supplied to the camera by the lens firmware.

This is applied to jpegs, not RAW images. However, if you use Silkypix RAW converter, which is supplied with the camera, it will also do correction automatically. For an uncorrected mage, you will need a third party RAW converter.

I'm not sure about an Olympus lens on a Panasonic, but I can check this.

Olympus E-Pxx cameras do much less auto correction than Panasonic.

tetrode

New to Mu-43
The Panasonic G-series will apply in camera correction, based on lens characteristics supplied to the camera by the lens firmware.

This is applied to jpegs, not RAW images. However, if you use Silkypix RAW converter, which is supplied with the camera, it will also do correction automatically. For an uncorrected mage, you will need a third party RAW converter.

I'm not sure about an Olympus lens on a Panasonic, but I can check this.

Olympus E-Pxx cameras do much less auto correction than Panasonic.

I'm not sure what clicking the "Thanks" button does so let me reply with a formal thank you. You've cleared up the Panny/Panny side of the equation nicely. Now to unravel the Oly/Panny mystery ...

Thanks again,

Dave F.

junk_space

Mu-43 Rookie
This is applied to jpegs, not RAW images. However, if you use Silkypix RAW converter, which is supplied with the camera, it will also do correction automatically.

Thanks for this info. I've read this same thing on several occasions, about the in-camera distortion correction being applied to JPEGS but not to RAW files. I'm curious about this though - I'm shooting with a GF1, 20mm/1.7 and am capturing RAW + JPEG simultaneously. To me, side by side, the pair looks identical (aside from richer colors in the RAW file). But there is no difference between the two as far as distortion goes. I'm not running the RAW files through any conversion process (that I know of). Does the camera in fact do autocorrection to RAW files as well?

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When you look at the "RAW" image in the camera, you are in fact looking at a small JPG that is stored within the RAW file, and therefore has the correction applied.

When you look at it on the computer, it may have the corrections applied depending what converter you use. Obviously, Silkypix does it and I think ACR does also.

When you use the 20/1.7 (or any Panny m43 lens for that matter) on an Oly body, the distortion correction is applied (it is part of the m43 standard) but the chromatic aberration correction is NOT applied. I haven't read, but assume both corrections would be applied in Silkypix or ACR for RAW

Latest threads

Top Bottom