1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lens correction on RAW files?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mike C, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Mike C

Mike C New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2010
    Please tell me if any lens correction is going on in my workflow. I am using the E-M5 with Panny and Oly M43 lenses. I shoot RAW. I convert to DNG then edit in Photoshop CS4. I convert to DNG because CS4 does not support the E-M5 and I hoped to avoid purchasing new software.

Do I have to purchase Lightroom 4 or Photoshop CS5 in order to get lens corrections from the E-M5? Or am I somehow getting it now? I understand that jpeg files include the lens correction data but RAW files get it from the conversion software.

Or do I need to import RAW in the provided Olympus RAW converter instead of converting to DNG?

2. Mike C

Mike C New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2010
    bump

3. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    Another newbie (me) who has the same question. I had to use LR to correct some fairly severe CA from the PL25 this weekend. Fortunately the new CA tool in LR4.1 worked really well :)

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If it works at all (i.e. if the files open successfully), then the correction is being applied. Unlike other RAW converters, Camera Raw refuses to open files it doesn't know how to deal with, and it refuses to deal with m4/3 RAWs without performing correction.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mike C

Mike C New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks

Adobe DNG converter is opening the .orf files so I am ok as far as distortion correction goes.

6. Raw files converted to DNG will retain the lens correction data. If you're converting to an older DNG format to work with early versions of Photoshop the files will be huge (around 40-60Mb) because they presumably don't store the additional correction data very efficiently.