1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens Comparison: Which Minolta Rokkor will win?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate8833, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    Hello,

I have been looking for a legacy lens between the focal lengths of 24mm and
    35mm. I have a vintage 50mm Minolta Rokkor that I really like, especially the build quality. So I entered into a few Ebay auctions for a 28mm Rokkor, and actually won two 28mm lenses by accident! I only meant to buy one. But the good thing is I actually get to test both lenses and keep the best! Does anyone know anything about these lenses? I appreciate the older Rokkor for it's build quality, but I know it's a stop slower. What do you think the outcome will be of my testing? Here is what I won...

MINOLTA MC W. ROKKOR-SG 1:3.5 F=28mm LENS

Minolta 28mm W. Rokkor f2.8 MD Mount

Thanks!

Nathan

2. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    Here are the lenses...

Does anyone have any idea on build dates for these lenses? Any interesting information? Thanks again!!

Here is the 28mm 3.5:

[​IMG]

Here is the 28mm 2.8:

[​IMG]

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Generally most Minolta lenses are optically a bit better in the older MC generations. I haven't read or found a direct test comparing the two 28's. My experience with MC/MD lenses on our system is that you'll have to stop down a bit to get the contrast and sharpness up. The only ones I have to compare are within 50mm models (as far as both mounts are concerned). While I prefer the bit lighter MD mount version, I like the focus ring and IQ from the earlier MC Rokkor-X more.

The MC mount you have looks to be a second generation with that knurled focus ring made probably towards the late end of 1966-1973.

The MD mount model is a second generation MD model. Manufacturing started in 1977 for the first generation, so I would guess it's from the 80's.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Everything you want to know about Minolta rokkors can be found at a site called the rokkor files.

5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Here's a link... The Rokkor Files

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks Danska! I've pretty much found that stopping down with my legacy glass was the only way to go as well. I have a Nikon 50mm 1.8 that was fine wide open on my old Nikon, but it's definitely best at 5.6 on the GX1. Also thanks to Grinch and Barefoot... I have visited that site. I just don't see any review for the older version of the 28mm. It's a great site though!

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    It just so happens I collect Minolta 28mm lenses. Your MC 28/3.5 model was introduced in 1969 and superseded by a similar model with a rubber-clad focussing ring in 1973. The MD W.Rokkor 28/2.8 ø49mm was offered between 1978 and 1981. It's probably much better than your MC 28/3.5: more contrast, better corner sharpness. Both lenses perform best at f/5.6 to f/8; the best 28/2.8 samples are already quite good wide-open, but quality varies across all 28/2.8's I have and had. I've had more than 5 models of this MD W.Rokkor 28/2.8 with 49mm filter thread and they were all very much alike and quite good. I think this model is your best bet if you want to use a Minolta 28/2.8, it also handles nicely because it's small and fairly light.

In bookmaker terms: MD 28/2.8 1.2:1, MC 28/3.5 8:1 :smile:.

• Like Like x 3
  8. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    Why is that the case? I tried a Sony 35/1.8 on my EPL, it looked pretty sharp to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.