1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

lens combo's

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Adobres, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    hi there. so im going to do it and buy a 25mm 1.4. im pretty excited. gonna sell the 14-42 kit lens. my next purchase will defenitely be the 45mm 1.8

now im a little confused on how to complete the triangle. i guess my options are 8mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and 20mm.

i have ruled out the 8 (too wide for my taste) and the 20 because i reckon its too close to the 25 to be of any good.

so this leaves the 12, 14 and 17. any suggestions on a good match? or does it just come down to taste? i was liking the pics i was taking on the 14end of my kit. is the 17 to close to the 25as well do you think?

i'm going to look at all the sample images from the 12 14 and 17 lens and see what strikes me. but im curious anyones experience here, thanks!

adam

2. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    does anyone make a fast 8-17mm? :)

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There used to be an old recommendation that you should double focal length as you went up in your lens collection, or halve going down. With the 25 and 45 (close to twice 25) the choice for a wide on that basis would be the 12.

I think wide angles get a bit more personal than that, though. As you "squeeze more into the frame", you also have to get closer in order to avoid adding too much into the frame and different people have different comfort zones about how close you like to be to people when shooting them. There's also the fact that the perspective at the edges becomes much more extreme as you go wider, and one person's comfort zone will be another's too wide and yet another's too narrow.

Looking at photos will help to give you a handle on the second issue, the perspective part of things. It's not going to give you any idea about the first issue and you really need to try them to see how much you get in the frame at different distances and how comfortable you feel at the distance that gives you what you want in the frame. I've seen one reviewer criticise the 12 mm for producing street photos that effectively lack a clear subject but when I looked at his examples the problem in all of them was simply that he was too far away from the subject to ensure that it took prime place in the composition. The issue really wasn't the lens so much as how he was using it. He obviously was much more comfortable shooting at a distance where the field of view of the 14 or the 17 would give him the subject size and framing he wanted. With the 12 you need to get in quite close if you want to capture a person head to toe with little space above and below them in the frame, and a lot closer if you want a half body shot—possibly as close or closer than 4' for the full body shot.

Obviously the distance and comfort angle is going to be different if you're shooting landscapes rather than something like street photography but even there, the wider the lens the more you have to work to ensure that your shots aren't spoiled by a big expanse of empty foreground that adds nothing positive to the picture and may even harm it.

I don't have the 20 or 25 and work with the 17 as my "normal lens", largely for it's size and ease of carrying. Even though I had experience with a 24 mm lens in my days of 35 mm photography many years ago I had difficulty getting used to the same field of view when I first got the 12 when I started shooting again last year after a gap of many years. If you haven't used a wide angle much before, you'll probably find yourself more comfortable with the 17 or 14 than the 12 at first.

The simplest way to work out what you want is simply to spend a few weeks using your kit lens at the wide end before you sell it, and see what focal length setting you gravitate to most. Pick the focal length closest to that, or just wider than that, for your purchase and work with that for a while. You may find yourself wanting to go wider later though you may well want to keep that lens if you do eventually buy wider. My feeling is that in the wide angle range there's a lot more use and value in having lenses close to each other in focal length than there is at the telephoto end where you are more likely to want to have lenses which relate to each other by a doubling of focal length.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Panasonic makes a 7-14mm f/4 for Micro Four-Thirds, and Olympus makes a 7-14mm f/4 for Four-Thirds. The Zuiko version for Four-Thirds is the highest quality, but both lenses are very good. They're not particularly "fast", but they are constant aperture and f/4 is plenty bright for such an ultra-wide.

For fast you have the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 and the Zuiko 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5. There are also a couple fisheyes at f/3.5, a 7.5mm and an 8mm (Panasonic and Samyang).

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    To go with the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux and the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, I would suggest the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2. That will give you a good spread between lenses, and keep them all of the highest quality and speed.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It is all personal preference; no one can tell you which lens will work best for you since no one shoots exactly as you do. Since you have a 14-42mm lens, you can find out yourself. Zoom your lens to 25mm. This is the angle of view that you will get with the Panasonic Leica 25mm. Now, zoom your lens to 17mm and then to 14mm. See which complement you like better. If even 14mm isn't wide enough for you, get the 12mm. Given that from 25mm to 17mm, you can capture nearly the same photo with just a relatively modest change in perspective by taking two steps back, you may want to consider the 12mm or 14mm.

7. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    decided..

thanks for the help guys. i think i have decided to go with the 14mm and put the 12mm on my wish list. i didnt realize they were so different in price! and im liking the compactness of the 14mm. thanks a lot!

i'll be set after this i think!

adam