Lens cloths you'd recommend

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by boulderjoe, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I know... this sounds dumb, but my local camera shop has only branded cloths that I am not a fan of. Too many options on amazon. So what are your favorite lens cloths?

-Joe

2. Very old piece of a thin Portugese flannel shirt...Patagonia brand from many years ago. Been through the wash a zillion times and is very soft and leaves very little dust. Pure cotton is my choice.

3. WRay

WRay Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Riverside, California
    Ray
    Well-washed all cotton t-shirt pieces!

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    There are all kinds of microfiber cloths out there - you just have to look at the cheap ones for cleaning glasses etc. and you're good to go.

5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have a ton of microfiber clothes in a box in my dresser, stop by and take a few.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I buy the disposable ones for eyeglasses. Zeiss makes some and they also say for cameras. $5/100 at Wally world and they are usually by the contact solution and eye drops.

• Like Like x 1
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I have a dozen or so Hoya branded ones, they're given to optometrists for free to give to customers.

They seem to work pretty well?

• Like Like x 1
  9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    None.
    Never trusted them not to hold some dirt or sand after first application.
    Disposable Zeiss lens wipes is what I use.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Apple screen cloth that came with my macbook does a decent job, but I only use a cloth if it has a fingerprint inadvertently smudged on there when grabbing it from my bag. I usually keep the lens cap on when stashed but some lens caps are easily dislodged.

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've found this to be the case too - not single use but after a few cases of serious cleaning they just smudge the crud around. The cloth for my glasses always ends up like that too.

For cameras I only use cloths to clean exteriors. I tend to avoid using them for optics if at all possible - if a combination of blower, brush, lens pen doesn't do the job (it usually does) a wet clean with disposables is in order.

Hmm maybe I need to get a cleaning kit for my glasses too!

12. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    A semi related experience here: I liked real glass lenses in my glasses (spectacles) because a few times I had coated plastic lenses and the coating would come off after two years or so. Last optician mentioned never to clean my eye glasses with anything soapy, nor to use hot water or tap water. To get grease off he recommended using the Zeiss wipes more than re-using a micro fibre cloth because over time a micro-fibre cloth traps dirt and often is greasy or hard with contaminants (addatives) from the tap water. ( and if using and washing microfibre cloths then never use softener since it leaves grease behind on your lenses ).

• Like Like x 1
  13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm a spectacles wearer too but my optician recommended AR Kleen (http://www.amazon.com/KleenĀ®-Eyeglass-Cleaner-Companion-Combo/dp/B00PG9L8ZG/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1459698561&sr=8-1&keywords=ar+kleen+lens+cleaner) because it contains no alcohol or ammonia which strip coatings off of plastic eyeglass lenses and maybe camera lenses. He also warned of using any kind of soap which could also strip lens coatings. I may be paranoid but I agree with MJL about being very careful about re-using micro fiber cleaning cloths.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  14. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Bulb blower with brush, lenspaper and ditto liquid. Not a scratch on any lens in close to 40 years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I got a smooth microfibre cloth thrown in with a camera at some point, it is Sigma branded I think, but the key is that it's very large. I use it folded, but when unfolded I can wrap it around my paw and stick it right into the eye of the lens with the hood on. Unlike other things I wash regularly (had to be said, just to avoid puns, or to provoke them...), I have not actually washed it since, well, ever, some six years now, and I can't see it leaving any marks.

sigma_cloth_a.

16. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Microfiber towels and wipes can be washed in cold water with plain laundry soap by themselves without additives, and hung to dry. Mixing them with other materials could contaminate them with lint and other particles. I do this with the microfiber towels I use to wipe and wash my car. Microfiber towels are available in bundles from Costco and various stores. Most are too big for lenses, but could be used for that as well as wiping down the outside of camera gear. I would definitely wash microfiber wipes occasionally, but being careful not to mix them with wipes used for non-camera use.

Here's what Mobile Cloth says about washing their wipes. OK, they recommend warm water.

Q: Care Instructions
    For years of use please follow these simple care instructions:

Machine Wash, or by Hand in warm (not hot) water, using a mild detergent. NO Bleach, NO Fabric Softener, DO NOT wash or dry with any cotton items (MC will attract the cotton lint fibers to itself) To dry simply hang dry, or dry in machine on LOW setting

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    As Walter stated above, no fabric softener or dryer sheets when washing. I wash a cloth for my glasses weekly and just let it air dry. And I rarely use lens clothes, but I do have a habit of carrying one in my bag just in case. If I need to clean a lens (which is quite rare), I use LensClens and the disposable tissues that Kodak used to make (and are now sold under another brand name).

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  18. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    For what it is worth I found an old pack of Kodak Lens Paper in my stash and it has been working like a charm. Looks like Tiffen still sells it, so I am in luck. I have a Gitzo rocket blower thing too.
    tumblr_o6bohwIouP1u1jegwo1_1280.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Yes, it is Tiffen who now sells it.

Thanks!

--Ken

• Like Like x 1